How would you fix this offset ring?

Hey forum,
(First off, sorry for the pun)
I dinged my Outlier and the ring got misaligned, can I fix it, how should I go about it?
Thank you!

1 Like

Rim Alignment tool

YYF Version

You could DIY with a PVC pipe and a rubber mallet if you are mechanically inclined

5 Likes

Thank you for the tip :smiley:
This seems like the “step on it” method but it costs 11$. It also pushes the rim inward, but my problem is that the ring is displaced too far towards the center (inwards) so this wouldnt do anything (potentially even worsen the issue).

3 Likes

It looks like the rims are pressed on from the inside of that yoyo, those rim tools aren’t going to do much for you (unless the YYF tool miraculously fits). That YYF rim tool was made because the Shutter Evo has the rims fit on from the inside of the yoyo as well.

I’d just get a rubber mallet and just go around the edge of the rim tapping it down.

4 Likes

Thank you, thats also what Im thinking. Im gonna find a way to hammer it back without damaging it.

2 Likes

This is what I ended up doing:

I set up a chisel like this:

And then whacked it down
It did improve the vibe but still not perfect, theres gotta be a method that works better though

4 Likes

I was very skeptical and nervous doing it, but what I did with my grasshopper gtx was take out everything from both halves and press on each with a rag like I was doing cpr. Whatever happened worked because I can see the engraving on each ring spinning in perfect alignment again and it’s way smoother. Not sure if that would work with your rings personally but might be worth a shot. I’d be less worried doing that than using a chisel :face_with_peeking_eye: that’s gonna really mess up your throw there man.

Edit: this will not work with your yoyo specifically, please don’t attempt lol.

1 Like

@Exmime already suggested this above, but go to your local hardware or plumbing store with your yoyo and find a piece of pvc that’s the right size and tap it back into place with a rubber mallet.

4 Likes

That would do nothing for their yoyo. The rings on this are press fit on from the opposite side as your yoyo. Pressing this yoyo down on a table would only have the aluminum rim making contact with the table/floor/whatever.

Finding a PVC pipe that’s the exact perfect size to cover up the steel rims without touching the aluminum seems like a good option if that’s possible. I don’t know exactly how much variance there is in PVC pipe size though lol. I’d still just smack the rims down from above with a mallet personally.

3 Likes

Oh whoops you’re absolutely right, that wouldn’t do a damn thing lol, rubber mallet is definitely the best option then! Please don’t use a chisel anymore OP!

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was suggesting, sorry I didn’t explain properly.

3 Likes

I’m gonna have to take my legato 2 to the store and try and find a size that matches up, unless the yyf tool would work? Someone suggested it to me before but I didn’t wanna waste money on it obviously if it was gonna be useless

1 Like

Yea that one doesn’t look like it would work for you. They have a bunch of sizes of pvc but they are standardized. If you find a piece of pipe that is a bit too small, a coupling for the same size pipe might be just the right size though.

3 Likes

I’ll see what I can do, I don’t mind a bit of vibe but the one side has gotten out of whack to the point where’s its pulsing so I have to at least try lol

Dang do you think it was the inner ring design? I feel like I’ve spiked all my bimetals at this point and they’re all still smooth. this is bad for bimetals generally and we gotta fix this bc they so fun and feel sooooo good! And I don’t want people to be like scared they’re gonna get messed up and I don’t want peoples yo-yos to get messed up either dang I just got fearful for bimetals…

Looks like they changed the design for the outlier 3 to be less likely to get ring misalignment.

1 Like

Nah being a 7075 I would think it would be pretty solid, it was just an extremely hard smack on the tile from a throw right where the ring is underneath lol. I checked the axle and bearing seat etc and that all seems to be straight and fine, but I can see the one ring isn’t flush anymore with the aluminum. I agree though if we could find a way for a more universal tool I’d be all for it

1 Like

Thank you all for the ideas, Im gonna look into getting a rubber mallet like mable suggested. Finding a fitting pvc pipe just doesnt seem worth the effort, even if it might work.

1 Like

You can maybe try putting in the freezer for like thirty minutes and then finding something to press down on it with lightly until it shifts back into place.

2 Likes

Thank you Im gonna try that out