How would you feel?

Hey all I’m just getting back into throwing after taking a small break, was searching thru bst on Facebook for a few dated throws found a dude who had a fair amount of what I wanted (peak wm1 wm2 ac2 and a few others) I spoke to the person figured out a price breakdown for everything, pricing was kinda high but since they were throws I was after for a while that I had lost out on I figured why not and snapped on them, I ASSUMED they were all mint no box, I’m paying 500 for a peak and 250 for a wm1. now a week before, I picked up a peak mint no box barely played for 450. I was kinda thinking ok mint peaks will run that, never asked the dude about if the throws were dinged up or not( the price he was asking had me thinking it was implied to be mint) anyway I send out the cash for the huge snap and then when I get them (all clyw) I find out 2-3 wm2 s are fools gold (wasn’t specified to me pre purchase) the wm1 was dinged to hell with tome chunks take out the peak is also dinged up but at the least plays really well.
I’m not the kinda dude who really wants to be a jerk but am I in the wrong for being a bit upset that the dude didn’t let me know the quality of the throws? Regardless now I know to always ask for pictures and videos before buying lol
Any opinions are appreciated thanks for anyone who’s read the whole darn thing lol.

4 Likes

All I can say is never assume. If the listing doesn’t have photos then ask for them, I’m surprised you weren’t flat out scammed in terms of receiving anything at all, especially at the prices you’re listing.

Sorry to hear it happened, I would reach out to the seller and ask about maybe doing a partial refund given you had no idea what the conditions were but don’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen.

9 Likes

So, James…. How much exactly did you spend for what… in total?

Accurate information can yield more accurate advice…

3 Likes

Dude said “oh my prices would have been the same if I told you they were dinged or not”. Dude has a canvas I want so I’m just asking for a fair price on that but he also doesn’t wanna come off one of his 25+ :man_shrugging:
I sell glass art and if you make a sale without specifying the condition it’s really bad for yourself. Def taught me not to trust anyone on the bst lol so atleast I got some knowledge out of it.

2 Likes

i think i would probs be upset.

but i also would have asked about the condition and for pics before i sent any money.

i dont have that nostalgia for those older CLYW so its hard for me to justify paying that much for a mono metaL

2 Likes

Forsure I missed out on a lot of these drops when I was a kid told myself I’d get them when I was older most people would rather have the new sports car but me, I’ll take an old Honda S2000 over then new McLaren or lambo haha to me the new bimetals are good for stable long spinning but I feel like has a loss on the string with character.

1 Like

A seller should list the condition and damage of the yoyos he sells as a default and it is a fair assumption that if no damage is listed then there is no damage to speak of.

A cautious buyer would confirm that there is no damage, and ask for pictures.

As whether the price is out of line, you would have to provide details of the run of Peak and the color way.

4 Likes

Peak is clown town 2 (I believe 2nd run) I’ll snap a picture of the dings and light chunks taken out when I get around them ina few!

3 Likes

I was done dirty by a very respected member of the community, I purchased a WM2 from this member and asked for photos, the person conveniently left out the photos that showed the deep damage. When I received the YoYo they were “shocked” that I was upset at the condition stating that “well I assumed at that price you would have known” well at 150.00 I would have assumed that it was mint.

From that moment on I asked very detailed questions, have I made mistakes in sales I have made? Sure! But I always try and offer to make it right.

In the situation with this member they did nothing, I just now will never do business with them. It sucks for sure but more questions and rep checks are always necessary

4 Likes

Yeah, no, that feels like straight up lying to me if they were to take a picture of the yoyo and hide the most glaring bit of damage.

the picture in and of itself is photo of proof and condition I would say, and to only put the best foot forward while the back is rotten and falling off is scummy, and decietful.

3 Likes

The BST should at the very least, be very transparent. People want to buy stuff, sell stuff, trade stuff……. Great: fun, adventure, etc…

Getting SCREWED should not be on the Menu.

When I started painting bikes and motorbikes in my Dads garage over 50+ years ago, he shared a winning formula to insure my excellent reputation I was in the process of building>

He said, ‘Son, I see people handing you good money. And they no doubt expect good work for their money.Ask them what they expect. Tell them what you can/will do and never try to mislead or misrepresent anything. Fairly honest doesn’t cut it. People will remember good deals for a long time. But they will remember getting SCREWED out of good money even longer. If you do good work at fair prices people will talk about you. If you burn somebody, they will also talk about you, using more colorful words to describe what they think about you to whomever will listen.
There’s no middle ground, son. If you’re not honest than your a Crook. Period.’

A small number of people on any BST, use a technique called ‘Deception by Omission’. It’s a practice involving not directly lying, you just don’t disclose information that would help the other party make a more fair and educated decision.

James stated the scammer that raked him for the big bucks said, ‘My prices would not be any different if I told you about the damage(not an exact quote)’.

Then…… If that is the fact, what is the problem fully disclosing the damage to each yo-yo and simply saying, ‘ All the yo-yos I will be selling you have signs of wear but I will not budge on any of my prices’.

If the conditions of the yo-yos have no bearing on the Sellers prices, than just say so.

To omit the various degrees of damage is very deceptive and totally unfair to the potential buyer.

The seller knew he wouldn’t discount the prices because of the damage…Ok.

But, a fair and honest seller would make the buyer aware of both the damage and his ‘firm’ prices and give the buyer a better chance of deciding if he is willing to accept the deal.

The fact that the seller deliberately withheld the option to disclose vital information to allow both parties to be on a level playing field is ‘Deception of the First degree’.

I would put the seller on Blast……. To keep another person from also getting SCREWED.

You can’t justify getting intentionally hosed by using the ‘Lesson Learned’ phrase.

The Lesson was much too expensive.

……PS… I wonder if James used the Friends and Family option through PayPal.

Regardless… my condolences, James

No vasoline in site……

7 Likes

I agree that the seller needs to be super specific and descriptive of condition, problems, issues, plus include photos.

However, it’s also partly on you as the buyer to ask questions and throughly investigate.

When buying a house, or car, you would hopefully do the same. I know yo-yos are not houses or cars but the same principles should apply.

2 Likes