How trustworthy is the BST?

I think condition is probably the sticking point. Someone who owns a yoyo and never noticed a small defect, and sells it as excellent. Some people are a bit picky and their superpower is picking out flaws.

To be fair, condition of an item gets into fairly subjective territory. It’s better to mention even minor details for the most part.

As I thought about it, if something is sold as near perfect, flaws aren’t really fair.

3 Likes

Yeah condition is super subjective and I’ve seen disputes pop up here. A lot of people, including myself, will usually list a pristine yoyo as “NMTBS” (near mint to be safe) but that doesn’t really communicate the condition in a tangible way IMO. So when I list stuff, I usually will photograph each flaw (even if the camera can’t pick it up, hey at least I made the good-faith effort), list each flaw, and do one last vine/quality check before accepting cash.

When I’ve had issues, I’ve been fortunate in that the sellers were willing to work with me. But to your point, I’ve seen arguments pop up here and elsewhere over condition/vibe and it’ll stir up controversy from time to time.

3 Likes

For what it is worth I have bought, sold and traded through this forum and haven’t once had a problem. To echo what others have said it is generally down to common sense. If you are purchasing from someone and they INSIST on you paying using Friends and Family maybe you should give it a miss.

I have also had no bad experiences doing any of these things through Facebook BST group and there is also a group for UK throwers where I have bought sold and traded and every transaction has gone smoothly. Not saying bad things don’t happen because they do but common sense is the main thing in minimising the chances of a bad transaction.

4 Likes

i’ll put it in some perspective, because a kid we’ll call TrashTalk, the other night decided to go online and trash myself, my family, and @yoyodoc because they are probably unaware of how the systems work, and they couldn’t get into FSYB…

TrashTalk picked up (the old ‘it’s my grail’ yoyo story…) yoyoX FIFTH hand (at least) from mo, and it turned out to be Bgrade. i was at least the THIRD hand in that line… i grabbed that yoyoX for someone that really wanted it… it ended up costing me TWO pieces i was well in for over $220. well, as it turns out, the dude i nabbed it for didn’t want it now i was stuck with a yoyoX… and out the first TWO i really liked… well, not knowing this yoyoX is bgrade, i traded it to mo who sold it to TrashTalk… mo checked that yoyo with 2 or 3 different bearings to make sure it was smooth. it was THE smoothest yoyoX he’d played, and he really liked that yoyo, a lot - that he got from ME, his friend. but, mo likes to help people out… ‘grail mail’ as he calls it… even sent a bunch of extra yoyos and string with yoyoX. and as it turns out… it was bgrade… mo sent back $40 to TrashTalk’s mom, and i sent $40 back to mo… TrashTalk sold yoyoX a month later, as well as all the freebies…

this sucked for everyone involved. everyone along the line was very disappointed. but, some folks stepped up and tried to make it right. and that’s what’s important. your name and reputation are really all you have when it comes to the BST. once you start to soil that up with bad trades, deals, slimy moves, etc… you’ll get in where you fit in… but, let’s look at this practically:

who profited?

• the kid/guy that mixed a bgrade into the market as an agrade, and marked it up or traded up
  • the kid that sells a bunch of free stuff for profit

who lost out?

• the guy that really liked his yoyo, but was trying to do something good for a kid’s birthday.
  • ME: $220 + $40 for “bgrade fees” + $30 shipping twice. i’m around $270 into yoyoX

i get it… you could say, “well, that’s your fault. you shouldn’t have done this. or done that…” whatever… that’s the mentality FSYB avoids. mo and i didn’t have to do anything - mo had that yoyo for SEVERAL months, but mo is my friend. and, mo’s reputation was more important than mine at that point… and, mo’s friendship is more important to me than any toy.

FSYB is bringing HONESTY & INTEGRITY to the BST. and people want to join for a reason. the people, the exclusive pieces… the VETTING and security provided. We provide Safety. Accuracy. Fairness. Equality. SAFE.

so yeah, some people won’t get in right away. some not at all (we have a banned/scammers list). and we understand the frustration in the interim. but, we’re doing what’s best for the community, not for one individual. hit me up with questions.

#FairTradeYoyos #FSYB #BSTSafe FatGuySnacks on IG

11 Likes

You’re asking him to admit to flaws in something he worked on. I’ve been there already it won’t happen

3 Likes

:wink: ‘twas for sake of example :grin::laughing:

3 Likes

U mind if I join the FSYB? Or just tell me what to do as qualification for a more trustworthy bst.

2 Likes

Use common sense when dealiing with individuals over the internet. It’s not your reponsibility to defend the honour of anyone apart from that of your own.

2 Likes

You can’t

pm’d my man

I have bought, sold, or traded probably around 40 or 50 yoyos (between here, reddit, and FB) without any major issues. Most folks on here have a history of good transactions, though the occasional scammer does pop up every so often.

I’ve been around for years - The only place I got scammed was here :slight_smile: I got my coin back.

Someone tried me on Dave Hall’s board as well, thinking about it.

Bad actors are everywhere. Use common sense (and goods and services) and you’ll be fine.

2 Likes