How to Tune?

I’m just curious how to tune the yoyo. Does it completely require me taking out the axle? Because I want to tune my M1, cause it has a vibe.

Definitions of tuning that includes some examples. Taken from another forum. :wink:

Tuning- any adjustments made on a yoyo in order to remedy vibe or wobble. Anyhting such as adding putting in a KK, removable rubber weight rings, taping and centering axles or screwing the axle all the way to one side. Stuff like lathing, adding weight rings from another yoyo (putting yyj rings on a plastic yoyo for example) falls outside the scope of tuning and is really modding. Basically tuning is any reversable changes that you make to the setup of your yoyo, mdding would be any perminent changed outside of painting or anoing a yoyo. Id say, yes any yoyo can be tuned to some degree, tuning can be as little as changing string length on a looper to make it loop better.

Tuning: Alterations made to the variable setup of a yoyo to reduce vibe. For example, tuning usually involved centering the axle or using loctite or teflon tape to keep it from moving off-center. Changing the bearing, the response pads or removing hubstacks could also be considered measures to “tune” a yoyo.

Is the axle off-center? This is hard to ask correctly, but let me try…

Are the ends of the axle the same distance away from their screw-ins on both sides?

I’m sorry - I don’t exactly know what you mean.

Ok, let me think this through for a second…

The holes on the sides of your M1. Can you see the axle in there?

Oh, okay, thats what I thought you mean. Yeah, I can.

Ok, good. Look at both sides. Does the axle appear to be the same distance away from the end of the hole on both sides?

Yeah :slight_smile:

Ok, let’s check something else…

Take the M1, and loosen it just a little bit.

Now, pick a half and spin it a bit with your fingers on the axle, as if you were taking it apart, just not all the way. Make sure to spin it, so you can observe the half without your fingers touching it.

Is it wobbly as it’s spinning? Check the other half now. How about it? Wobbly at all?

A little on each side. Nothing dramatic, but I can notice a wobble.

Ok, in a perfect setting there shouldn’t be any noticeable wobble. A little is alright, but it would tend to explain where your vibe is coming from.

Take the M1 apart, and turn the axle just a little bit, either in or out, and carefully put it back together. Experiment with this a little, and see if you can get it dead center.

Also, has this yoyo ever taken a hit?

Do I have to take the axle out altogether? Also, it has taken SEVERAL hits ;D

You know what, take the axle completely out and rest it on the table or desk in front of you.

Gently push it so it will roll. Is it completely flush against the table, or does it look like one or both ends are going up and down?

Take it out like I would a YYJ? Cause I’m not good at taking them out ;D Both times I have, I stripped it altogether.

Well, then you might want to avoid doing it if you can’t do it without stripping it. It sounds like you’ve got a slightly bent axle, though, given what you’ve told me so far.

Both halves are a little wobbly, you’ve got a vibe, and it’s taken several hits. I imagine that axle has seen better days.

Of course, taking it out and giving it a roll will tell you right away, but not at the cost of stripping it unless you’ve got a replacement sitting there with you.

Well, its not an extreme vibe, just one I wish I could do away with. I’m gonna try using locktite.

That could work.

Make sure you use the blue stuff, and not the red. :wink:

Yeah, I’ve had it for a long time. I remember almost going to buy it with the Red in my hand, and I read the back, and it was talking about how it would be difficult to remove. So I got the blue. I’ll tell you how it plays! I’m just letting it set in right now.

Axle??? the screw??? I only had a duncan

???