How to Fine Tune a yoyo

Hey everyone, I’m not sure if the general section is the proper place to put this. But I been scouring around youtube trying to find videos on how to fine tune a yoyo as a lot of my throws have some vibe and some have really horrible vibe. But no matter how many times I watch it. My puny little brain cant seem to pick up on it right. So I am making a thread that everyone on here can come to that can help others like me to learn how to tune a yoyo by those more experienced then I. If anyone has any questions or any information on tuning a yoyo or wanting to know how to tune a yoyo. Please come to this thread and put it in here. This way we can keep all the questions and answers all in one area and we wont have to flood the forums with a bunch of different post. Thank you.

Here’s one link from the sticky threads here: http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,9488.0.html

Here’s Brandon Vu’s video: https://youtu.be/QP1ulQpcqos

Also remember this: some yoyos simply cannot be tuned. There’s no guaranteed way to take a potentially out of round half and put it alongside a perfectly round half and have the end result be smooth.

The tips boil down to more or less this:

(Brandon Vu’s video shows these–)

1. Try flipping your bearing
  2. Try a new bearing
  3. Try flipping your axle
  4. Try a new axle

(the stickied link shows this–)
5. If the axle is “floating” (shorter than the combined threading of both halves), use loctite or teflon tape to vary the depth the axle is into the halves

There’s not much else you can do. There’s one more extreme technique that I wouldn’t recommend to anyone at all, ever. But brave souls have done it:
6. If the half is out of round and you can tell where/how, use an appropriate implement to literally tap it and re-form it back to round.

But really. Don’t do #6 except as a joke if you’re ready to throw the yoyo in the garbage (literally).

Note: I removed a conversation between members that didn’t need to be here. If the involved parties have a problem with that, PM me.

hold the yoyo in front of you facing the catch zone with each half in one hand.
assuming the axle is free moving and neither side has a greater resistance to twisting, do the following to shift the axle:
hold the right half still, untwist the left half by a small angle. this will result in the left half alone being unscrewed without moving the axle from the right half.
then hold the left half still in its new position and twist the right half back. this again will rotate only the right half but not the axle.
after the yoyo is screwed back again, this results in an overall shift of the axle to the right side.