How to Take Tricks from Landing to Mastered?

This is a question about yoyo practice. Basically, I have a handful of tricks that I’m able to land like 5 out of 10 times. I have these tricks written down and I go through the list everyday and make sure to land them a few times before moving on. My thought was that I need to commit them to muscle memory more and doing that is not the kind of thing you can do in a day, so I should go for a long approach. The tricks do feel decently smooth now like not awkward or I like have to think about the steps too much, but I feel like my rate of landing them isn’t getting better. These are the few tricks I would like to master as opposed to learning to pick out the fun elements and expand my yocabulary. I’m in no rush to master these tricks, but I do want to be making progress. I can’t tell if I will be able to get them where I want by practicing the way I have been. What best practice practices have you found to master tricks? Any insight is appreciated! Thank you!

4 Likes

Lots and lots of repetition is the go to answer, but I think there’s some value in deconstructing your tricks while you work on them to see if there’s anything you can improve on. Meaning, focus on each element and transition and try to nail them down one at a time, in my eyes it’s slightly easier to think of a trick as a sequence of transitions/elements. I think learning and experimenting with new/harder tricks too helps a lot, you don’t necessarily have to learn every trick perfectly, but just being exposed to some of the more common moves in a lot of different ‘mounts’ helped me a lot.

2 Likes

It just takes time. After a few years and a lot more tricks you won’t even be thinking about any of them. You will be transferring from mount to mount to mount without thought or hesitation

2 Likes

Bah I was worried this was the case lol I’ll focus less on trying to get them locked up and keep just having fun

So aside from the obvious answer of “just play more,” two tips I’ve gotten from players far better than me are:

Don’t think about the element you’re doing, always be thinking one element ahead. If you’re just thinking about what you’re doing at the moment, you’ll have a slight pause from “finishing” one element and then “starting” the next. If you’re thinking one step ahead, you can keep the momentum going while transitioning into the next part of a trick, without a pause from “finishing” a segment.

The other bit is more regarding consistency, but if there’s something you really want to grind consistency for, just make a small repeater of the element. Isolating and grinding the element you’re struggling with as a repeater should help you both smooth it out and build consistency.

3 Likes

That’s what it’s all about. Everyone is different. There is no set timeline that you have to be on. Just have fun

1 Like

Going to try this because it is always the same spots I mess up. I know I can get there because I have sent some to the mastered column already…I guess the ones up now need extra love and time to nurture…mostly the chopsticks elements dang

2 Likes