Practice session: things that work

So what are some strategies you use in your practice sessions that work?

Here’s one I like a lot!

Once I have the trick down consistently, I start off by doing the trick as slowly as I can and speeding it up a little on each consecutive attempt. If I miss, I start over at the slowest speed. Finally, when I have completed the trick at the highest speed possible, I repeat it at a comfortable speed.

I usually have pretty good success with this method.

5 Likes

I usually start out by learning each step, and then try to smooth out the transitions between each step. If there is a certain part of the trick that I’m struggling with, I usually work on that part until I get it smooth or at least consistent and then try to work on the trick as a whole.

To date, the only trick that I have not been able to land that I have set out to learn, is shotgun beefhook. Damn that trick. Damn it! And the worst part is, as tedious as the trick is, it looks really underwhelming when executed properly. Lol

2 Likes

I love practicing tricks slowly if possible. Sometimes I just practice all the mounts I know slow then as fast as I can. Don’t laugh but I also practice sleepers trying to get as powerful and straight as I can. A friend here got me to try Ripcord and the 6 string segments in the gap at the same time showed me how lousy my throws were even though a I can blast through Barrell Rolls.

3 Likes

Sometimes when making a trick, I’ll watch it in a mirror. (Be careful! This can lead to seven years of bad luck. :zap: )

2 Likes

I think my main thing is I try not to learn too much too fast. I try to really cement each trick or element I learn with repetition. Then working it into other things so it just becomes part of muscle memory.

2 Likes

Same here. That’s why my trick repertoire is so small. I tend not to move onto something new until I have a real good handle on the current trick(s) I’m working on.

2 Likes

Once I learn a new trick with a certain mount I usually learn a more advanced trick in the same mount.

1 Like

@smileypants707 @ZaYoBoy @zslane say your practicing, let’s choose the trick magic drop. When you get to the swing over part and land on the string how would you go about putting more separation between the front and back string, so the yoyo lands on one and not both?? Lol

1 Like

Practice my dude. Practice practice practice. It’s all about finesse. You can tell the yoyo where to land, but it’ll take time and diligence to know how.

Magic drop is literally one of my favorite elements. And I still mess it up from time to time. Lol

2 Likes