How to start an official yo-yo contest?

Hi, all!

I live in Kazakhstan, yoing is not very popular here, but in the last few months some skilled players appeared and now I’m thinking about running a contest. Since it will be the first one I have some questions:

1. Does some kind of ‘official’ ladder exist? Shall we use WYYC ladder or something else?
  2. Do we have to invite official judges?
  3. Will it be official? If not, what do we have to do to make it official? Can we name it KYYC or KZYYC?
  4. Is there any chance to get a sponsorship from manufacturers or stores?

Thank you for your answers.

As far as “official” goes, I’m not sure what the procedure is outside of the US. AYYA sanctions the contests in the US for official purposes. Starting out, the WYYC trick lists are a good place to start. You can build on those as you progress. Judging is really up to you, but if you want some known people to judge, then yes, you need to invite them. Given your location though it may not be easy to get “name” people involved. In any event judges need to know and recognize the tricks. Sponsorship - contact the individual companies to see what they can do for you.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply! It’s almost clear now. I think we’ll start with WYYC ladder and Fast Challenge. These types of tournaments we can judge ourselves. And when we are ready for freestyles we’ll try to invite judges from Russia or Europe (: