How To Start a Contest?

Hey guys. So there is only a Regional contest down here in Michigan and I was wondering how I could start a State contest up here? Jake Maloney who runs the regional contest said they won’t let him do a State contest so I was wondering if they would let me? Guessing he can’t because he runs a contest already? So yeah, I know I need sponsors and a place and certified judges but I was wondering who I ask and stuff. Oh and an off topic question is, does anyone know where I can get custom string cutters? I want something custom for the Plymouth YoYo Club, I will probably be running it when Jake can’t.

Google Custom letter openers.

Everything else, talk to AYYA or NYYA about getting the contest legit, but besides that talk to componies saying what you want to do and ask them if they can help out and sponsor. As far as a venue goes you can get some cheap ones at a park or and expensive nice hotel convention center. It varies and so does the price. Also Just to say this is a big task and you might want to have an adult help you like your Dad (assuming your a kid with dreams like most on this forum). But yeah it wouldn’t cost you too much because you get your money back with entry fees.

Yeah, I would have my mom and dad help and I’m sure Jake and his parents would probably help out too. Thanks!

no offence chase,dont mean to crush your dreams and all…but its probably gonna be a loootttt of money…im not saying its not possible for a kid like me or you, but it’ll be really hard…

EDIT: oh and age limits…i think you probably need to be like 18 or so to start a competition…

I don’t see why you would need to be 18. But it would cost upfront money, I have actually done my homework and almost gone through with it. You need a venue, $50-$200 based on where you go. You need sound systems, I already own some great sound so IDK you can rent or use the house system. And then pretty much prize bags which are usually from sponsors.

You’d have to be 18 in order to sign a binding contract for a rental agreement and/or security deposit agreement for many rental halls/hotels. You could probably get a parent or guardian to do that for you if necessary though.

ohhh ya forgot bout that…i guess it could work…i take back what i said…

Trying to act like you said nothing.

Hey guys, I probably won’t be doing this but Chris Fraser and I were talking today about it because of something I don’t want to say (not bad, just not sure if he wants to tell anyone yet) and he said he might talk to Jake Maloney about it

He’s getting a new signature yoyo?

Nope, not even close. It has more to do with contest, I just don’t know if he wants people to know. But I did hear from YYF that he had a signature edition Genesis but I don’t think it’s in the batch anymore.

If he doesn’t want anyone knowing you should just shut up about it before you leak anymore info like you did about it being more about contests.

I don’t know if he cares. I just don’t want to be getting asked a ton of questions about different things. Contest, there is many things at contest.

anything is possible with money. well, almost.

i would say a large indoor venue would cost well over $500. you would need to rent or buy some sound system. renting i would estimate around $100 for a pretty good one. then there is a stage which i have no idea on costs. so i would say that in personal investing, go for at least $500. then some companies would help you out with money, and others with prizes. then after you have all the companies, you need to pay for their advertising and stuff. just printing out some backround for the stage will be all you need. renting out some fold up tables, chairs, etc.

then you need to make a website for the contest. yoyofactory usually will film most contestants, along with random others. you can ask yyf to film and then post them on the website after the contest. also come up with what exactly you want the prize to be. i would say something reasonable for 1st would be a few high end yoyos, giftcards, shirts, and/or prize money. you would need to work out reasonable entry fees. how many divisions will there be? you could make it like $10 for 1 division, $17 for 2, $22 for every division, if there are 5 divisions. that was just an example, and i actually believe that to be a little expensive.

you will also need to work out a good date. because of the state and time, i would decide on an indoor venue. at least i think it rains a lot in Michigan. in the summer it would be very humid also, so i guess spring would be the best time with an indoor venue.

this is all just to help you, and good luck with your project.

But if you didn’t want attention you honestly shouldn’t have mentioned it.

I was going to rent out my local church (ridiculously huge church) for about $50 to $100 and they have sound, tables, and mics already. It’s a prefect deal but I didn’t really have time to organize it.

We were talking about it and it has to do with it and I mentioned the contest and he said he’ll talk about it with Jake. I honestly don’t want attention and didn’t mean it that way. I don’t know why I said it. But I don’t want people say It’ll be to hard for me or someone else. And I could probably find somewhere easily. My parents know alot of people because of the family business

Lol, I don’t mean you want attention like, you did it on purpose, let me try and rephrase.

If you don’t want prople to bug you with questions, it’s best to just leave the info out.

Man, I messed up. Crap, ugghh. I guess this is what happens after a super long day…Being a 12 year old boy with 10 little 7 year old girls at Chuck E Cheese is not so fun.