organizing a states contest questions . .

Just a bunch of questions really. . . (I reposted this from another forum, and didn’t get much response from). I’m sorry if I’m not posting this in the correct place. But basically, if one were to try to run a state contest, what is needed?
here’s a list of things I can think of:

a venue, with a stage and lighting?
at least “grass roots” advertizing (uuh, I guess at least notices on all yoyo forums . .word of mouth , flyers)
a date
Sponsors/vendors
Judges(at least three? Do they get paid?)
Chairs
a schedule
Ayya sanctioning
a decent PA system
a dedicated sound engineer guy/girl?
MC?
Website?

What am I missing? Also, is the Ayya still in existence,(the site has been down for a while)? If so do you need sanctioning by them or another yoyo organization? Realistically what kind of money do you need to get a contest off the ground?
Any insights or comments are truly appreciated, many thanks in advance . . ;D

I’ll speak only about the PA:
Odds are great these days the sound production company will have engineers. They may also have lights. Lights are not always needed if outdoors, but it depends on your needs. I’m a one-stop shop: sound, lighting, video, recording, multiple feeds, monitors. I do not carry staging though. I don’t do AV from the standpoint of large screens and projectors, that kind of thing. It appears I am most likely doing sound for CalStates, I’ll be bringing in a an active 4-way PA that will cover 1000 people without breaking a sweat, monitors and large format console so I can provide multiple feeds and mixes as well as running mains and monitors at the same time.

Decent? Mine is top rated, but there’s lots of things people DO NOT DO to optimize their gear to improve performance.

Stages are insurance nightmares, which is why I choose to not carry staging. Well, at least it is in California. But, you should have the stage company assemble and disassemble the stage. Ensure you are more than adequately insured.
Do you want pipe and drape with that? What areas do you want to drape off? How do do you intend to hang sponsor banners as well as the event banner?

Sponsors and vendors help reduce your out of pocket expenses.

MC is nice, but not always needed. It does help with appearances.

Chairs, no big deal. Folding chairs are great, as are 60-inch folding tables. Get some nice table cloths and drapes for them to make it look pretty. White is fine, or black. Doesn’t need to be fancy, it’s for appearances.

Date: yup. no date, no event. Location can vary, but ideally if you can, try to be at the same place. Also, try to be around the same time each year. People like consistency. Also, try to not have it interfere with other regional events as best as you can. For example, the CalState and Florida state contests are on the same day. This is not a problem, it draws different people from different regions. There is only a conflict of interest if someone intends to hit them both, and that’s a personal problem, not an event scheduling problem.

Schedule:
Not to be rigid, but as a set of objectives to keep things moving. Try to stick to it, be flexible if it doesn’t happen, but don’t let things drag out. We’re talking yoyo, not doing a festival type all day event where you’re moving bands in and out all day long.
Lay it all out best you can. Use other pre-existing schedules as models to start with. Why re-invent the wheel, right?

Web site helps get the information out there. You also have to promote your event and your web site, because you have to let people know that you’re out there, the event is coming and that there’s places to go for information. How do you intend to advertise? See if local TV does community event announcements. See if you can get on morning shows to promote your stuff, and weekend “special interest shows” ahead of time for promotion. Are you going to do print advertising in regional and local newspapers and other publications? Billboards might be excessive for now, don’t waste time on it. Radio spots perhaps? Of course, post ads in the appropriate places on web forums and boards. Make up T-shirts and wear them everywhere, you and your crew of people who are organizing the event.

Other stuff to consider:
Locations with “facilties”. Restrooms, water fountains, food and drink sellers/vendors. The more that’s already around, the less you need to bring in. The less you need to bring in, the less costs to you. You may be able to score some caterers as sponsors/vendors to help provide services with little costs, at least as far as food and drinks are concerned. Oh, and go non-alcoholic for your vendors, its less hassle to deal with.

Insurance. You may need to have your policy cover the venue. The facility management will advise on this. In my case I also like to have the promoter/event organizer cover me as far as theft and breakage for “replacement value” of the item(s) damaged or stolen.

Awards. You doing trophies? Medals? Ribbons? Will ribbons and medals be custom engraved? Or will they be like Olympic medals and be marked for the award?(still a valid option!) Will the medals be the “worn around the neck” type or a much less expensive pin-in type that’s sort of a ribbon as well? Will you have spares, and if so how many?

Security? Is it even needed? Do you need “manpower” or will simple rope or barricades be sufficient?

Fees. Entry fees for participants. Do you want to charge admission for the audience? This may or may not be possible. At CalStates it’s in an open-air mall where foot traffic comes and goes as it pleases. Admission fees are not possible. The only way you can do that is to hire a venue/theater/hall. It may not be within your best interest to rent such facilities as you’ll need security and it may discourage audience from attending. Most of these seem to be in open facilities such as malls and the only fees are charged to those competing.

New events have multiple strikes against them going in. Doing good can negate all these strikes immediately.

1 Like

Thank you Studio42! Some good points you brought up especially about insurance. The contests I’ve been to on the right coast, are maybe smaller than out west. As a venue that can sit/house 300 is being optimistic in terms of turn out. So that being said, a smaller PA would probably suffice, but yeah, wouldn’t it totally rock to have thousands of watts o’ power, and a light show as well ;D ?! Usually the contests I’ve been to around here have been held in Churches/Schools/Museums, these venues usually come with chairs and facilities. I don’t think we’d need security, though the yoyo community might be accused of containing a bit of a “fringe” element, we’re all just a bunch good natured smush balls, so I guess no bouncers need apply. But prizes! yes good point, definitely need swag for the winners. I’ve only noted contestant fees, all of the contests I’ve been to haven’t charged to get in. Food vendors is another good idea though! Tanxs again . . :slight_smile: