How to remove a Pyromatte finish

I have a 54 four and it’s pretty banged up, the finish is so scratched up that it can’t grind well and i don’t like to grind anyway. I also think raw yo yos look awesome so I’m wondering if there is a way to remove it?Without using sandpaper.

Sanding it down, then using progressively finer grits until you get to what you’re looking for. You may want a satin-type finish. Plus, you’re going to need to remove the anodizing(not strip) through this process of grinding the anodizing off.

You may wish to just take it all the way down and mirror finish it if you wanted to.

I know i could use sandpaper, but i don’t want to risk it in case it might create vibe.

Removing the finish w/sandpaper has very little possibility of inducing vibe.
In the realm of reality it is very, very remote, and can be ignored.

The other option is to chemically strip it - proceed with caution.

what chemicals would you use? Would lye work(sodium hydroxide liquid)?

Chemically stripping it is going to have a much higher chance of inducing vibe. My vote goes to sanding it or just leaving it be.

The mod gods have spoken, heed their wisdom and all will be well.

Do not use Lye if you don’t know what you’re doing. If you leave it in too long it will eat away at the aluminum. It will ruin the threads inside the yoyo and kill your bearing seat. I know from experience. You could always send it away and have it mirror polished by someone who know what they’re doing. I think most people charge about 15 bucks.

1 Like