How to make whippier string?

My string looks pretty good, but its too light. How do I make it more dense without making it thicker? Do I need to add more wraps but tighten more?

2 Likes

What material are you using? What’s the brand?

1 Like

Its like 100% polyester sewing thread

2 Likes

Textured Nylon is whippier. Some examples include:

Bulky (gutterman)
Wooly (YLI)
MaxiLock STRETCH

Try using these straight, or mixed with your polyester. Nylon is way more whippy than polyester.

My personal recipe uses 50/50 MaxiLock stretch, and trilobal polyester. Trilobal is also extremely whippy, but it is not very soft.

6 Likes

Add mayonnaise.

8 Likes

Thicker string will make it slightly whippier but type of material is the biggest thing

2 Likes

you can spin it long do take note that it will make it ruffer then before

I don’t know much about string making but maybe try a nylon core? I think that’s what OD Long Cuts does.

1 Like

I second the Nylon. I use 100% Bulky from Gutterman because it’s easy to get at Joann. 7 wraps reduced ~13% produces about Kitty Normal thickness, but still soft, and hella-whippy. White seems to always be softer for some reason, but I am not sure why? :thinking:

1 Like

white is softer because it has not as many dyes

Smart. You smart. I should have realized that. I wish the red was as soft as the white. Have to make peppermint to get it as comfy as I like, lol.

1 Like

some diifrent thread compneys have red that is soft i have heard and some have white that is ruff is just finding those brands
P.S i have no idea what brand makes what colors soft i put most of mine know (if there ruff) in fabric softener. if you dont know how to do this let me know (im new to washing strings but i have a good idea on how to do it)

1 Like

Sure! I think I saw something about it on r/stringmakerz where you soak in a diluted softener/water mix, then rinse and dry them?

2 Likes

That was me. I can’t believe i never got back with the results of that test for almost like 6 months.

4 Likes

I have been usig 1.5 nylon, but it just doesnt have whip

1 Like

You also never update the wiki bro. I did the science for silk and rayon! lol.

1 Like

Are you talking about r/throwers or r/stringmakerz? I’m not a mod for r/stringmakerz lol.

1 Like

What do you mean by 1.5 nylon?

I be using kitty 1.5 nylon but it aint cuttin it so i decided to make string but it doesnt have whip

1 Like

Oh, I see.