Making my own soft feeling string

Good morning everyone. I have jumped into the big world of string making. I don’t care too much about color or patterns but my main goal is to make a soft feeling string. I have built a rig and have messed around with some fabric store polyester lock thread and some bulk nylon. I have had some success but it just not quite there yet.

Any suggestions and tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you

4 Likes

It’s a soft sting. Not too sharp, don’t let it cause infections!

Get some “wooly nylon” and you are on cloud 7. it is called like that since it puffs up when it has no tension. Need to try it - is hard to explain.
This is the same as Aretic or Zipline uses to make their soft strings. Tricky bit is to get the tension right. Too less it puffs up too much and you have super fat string, too much you lose all the puffiness and it is like stock nylon.
Another thing is there are some hair conditioners that can give a string like a wax like surface which also is a kind of soft. But I guess what you are looking for is the wooly nylon.

4 Likes

Wow my bad. Not once but twice. I guess I’m lucky that I didn’t slip on a banana peel this morning. :laughing:

Would fabric softener work also?

Tried it with poly, nylon and cotton. Worked for me only with cotton. The condition makes more of a wax coating where the softener more removes a bit of the structure of the cotton.

2 Likes