How to make string

I am Telling you guys how to make yoyo string to awnser some questions.

1. Find a drill and two four legged chairs. Get a paper clip and fold it to make a hook and fit it into the drill.

2. Get some thread and (carefully) set the chairs upside down. (This could also be done using two door knobs at least 10 feet apart.) The space the chairs roughly 8-10 feet apart dipendant on your string hight.

3. Tie some thread around a leg of a chair using a slip knot. put 6-8 full loops of thread around the chairs depending on string thickness. (If it’s thin easy to break thread about 7 or 8 loops if it’s thick durable thread 6-7 loops of thread.)

4. Then put the strings onto the hook on the drill and if you right handed spin it clockwise if left spin it counter clockwise. Once spun till it’s about a foot shorter put your foot in the middle and leaving NO SLACK cut the other end and tie them together with a overhand knot. Then move your foot let slack in to twist your two strings together. ( It will do it by itself) and your string will look like a bowl of spaghetti. Then pull it back down and let go. Keep doing this untill it looks like good string. Then you can put it on your yoyo and have fun!

Hope I helped if not tell me.
2 Likes

Nice! @DocPop has a good blog post about this as well

https://docpop.org/2017/11/make-yo-yo-string/

Here’s the video, I think he uses chairs too … or maybe it was tables :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I did see that not really a tutorial thought so I did this to clear some stuff up

2 Likes

Great write up! There are also lots of great tutorials on https://www.aireticstrings.com/string-school which is how I learned to make string.

3 Likes

Thanks! Yeah I saw your video and Dylan’s which I learned the basics but I thought I would right this up to help clarify.

Making string is really easy, everyone should try it at least once if you have any thread laying around.

I posted a gallery of my process here: Stringmaking & yoyos: A deep well of a hobby

3 Likes

Dang lol, I’m currently typing up a really in-depth mega thread article on string making for this category, should be done within a couple of days

3 Likes