How to improve my trick execution?

A couple years ago Micah Wingell told me on a video call to work on my trick execution. I don’t know where to start man. I have a big trickset of dense and intricate tech, however in my opinion my tricks look like garbage. Any advice from you guys?

2 Likes

Share a video?

2 Likes

I’m taking a stab because I might be in a similar situation. I enjoy learning relatively complex and longer tricks. But, initially I didn’t take the time to develop their execution. What helped me personally was learning every Yuuki Spencer tutorial I could find. He has fantastic flow ‘hiding’ in every trick. So, first it was a challenge to learn the trick. Then, it was a challenge to find the flow. I tried to keep the yoyo moving at a nice pace and find the fun feel of executing the trick. Since then I’ve found Kris Toledo’s tricks have fantastic construction, variety, and flow.

Here are some favorites to get you started, if you’re interested:

7 Likes

Without learning anything new, you can start by playing with less forgiving yo-yos like plastics, responsives, smaller bearings, older more organic and high-walled stuff; this is a nice way to enforce good execution since you can’t be nearly as sloppy with those or the yo-yo will die.

Charles goes over this a bit in the j0j0 zeitgeist video. He brings up that his favorite players all learned to yo-yo in an era where yo-yos were designed the opposite of the way they are now: low rim weight, high walls, often made of plastic.

Going straight to the source will say it better than I can (starts at 5:20 if the below link doesn’t take you there):

10 Likes

I really liked this video… took me by surprise.

1 Like

I love those guys!

1 Like

Do you think deep state with unresponsive bearing would work?

If you already have one, I don’t think it would hurt. It would certainly be lighter (52g w/ Flat Caps), it has a high wall, and the gap is 3.25mm. It would definitely improve your form since there wouldn’t be as much spin from the light weight but could be frustrating.

If you wanted to pick up a new yo-yo to try with the new Freehand 1’s are a great option that are heftier (66g) which would give you more spin time to work with while still maintaining some of the other qualities (high wall, small gap, comes tug responsive though this will break in over time).

1 Like

Probably don’t have to go that extreme. Just pick a high wall yoyo and throw a flat bearing in. That will force you to focus on keeping the yoyo on plane, landing dead center, and playing smoother.

I second the FH1 recommendation, good choice to focus on technique.

3 Likes

If I may…

What aspects of trick execution are you trying to improve?

Flow?

Pacing?

Transition?

Aesthetic?

All of these things are but facets of trick execution. If you want to improve all of them, let’s pick one and start to improve on it.

I think this can be achieved with any yo-yo. If you’ve found one that you really like the feel of and how it performs now, let’s just keep using it. Changing your yo-yo CAN force certain aspects of your execution to change, BUT it’s only going to do it subconsciously. You’re expecting the yo-yo to change you… not for you to change the way you yo-yo. If your goal is to learn how to throw a responsive yo-yo successfully, then by all means, buy a responsive yo-yo. But if your goal is to make your dense intricate tech tricks look less like garbage, then let’s just work with the yo-yo that can already accomplish these dense intricate tricks and clean up your technique. That way you’re not adjusting to the yo-yo, but you’re improving the tricks you’ve already got.

So I can go into detail about those aspects I mentioned above, but for the sake of brevity, I’d rather you pick one. My suggestion would be the one you’re already familiar with but think there’s still room for improvement; not the one that you know the least about and need the most improvement with. You’re welcome to message me directly. I’d be happy to help over zoom or pretty much any other format for that matter.

2 Likes

As a quick follow-up with the last bit… if you honestly just don’t know where to start… As in you don’t feel that you’re familiar with any of these aspects and need equal improvement in all areas, then I would suggest posting a trick. Especially one that you’re happy with the density and technicality of, but as you put it, looks like garbage. If you’d like, I’d be happy to critique and offer constructive criticism and guidance.

1 Like

bruh i just ordered a freehand one
perfect timing

1 Like

All four of those. I notice how micah has all four of those in his tricks. he has the cleanest looking yoyo tricks i have ever seen