How to flat pack a single yo-yo for cheapest shipping

Believe me, I’ve shipped plenty of assembled yo-yos in a padded envelope, so… yeah… that’s definitely possible, it works, and it arrives fine. I’ve run lots of “experiments”, let’s say :wink:

Would I ship a $600 yo-yo that way? Probably not. But it can work, if you need it to!

3 Likes

hehe I hope it’s clear I’m just joking/trying to be a smart a**.

I’m actually glad you posted this and will be using your method in the future!

1 Like

Shipping in a box doesn’t always stop damage. I actually believe if this yoyo had been sent in @codinghorror’s disassembled method it would have survived lol.

IMG_0644 by lj_vegabomb, on Flickr

4 Likes

Hard to tell what’s happening there. Bent axle? Ouch.

I agree that the flat pack method has its downsides (it is kind of annoying to have to assemble the yo-yo) and I’m in no way proposing it as “the way everyone should ship yo-yos from now on” (I thought I made this clear in the first post…) but none of those downsides is fragility… disassembly + flat pack makes the yo-yo basically indestructible!

Now, if you are one of those tinfoil hat wearing, flat earther “disassembly of any yo-yo breaks it” folks … um… no? Just no. :wink:

It came exactly like that in a small flat rate box. I didn’t take it apart to see why it looked like that. The packaging box had an indentation that showed something heavy had been laid/dropped on it. It was replaced immediately by André, cause that’s how he rolls. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I :heart: yoyoexpert

5 Likes

also…had it been blue, pink or a splash or something, I’d not have even flinched at this image.

It being green however has broken my heart and I will be having nightmares tonight :frowning:

5 Likes

That’s nonsense. If you can’t take a yoyo apart and put it back together reliably, maybe you should try a different hobby. Never had an issue with that and prefer people send disassembled yoyos to me. Totally avoids any type of damage as shown above by vegabomb.

I am not offended by people that ship that way, box or padded envelope, and wouldn’t expect anyone to be likewise offended.

4 Likes

I used to eat anywhere from 2 a week to 2 a day. It was an easy breakfast, cheap if you bought store brand, and tasted pretty decent. For those wondering, no I’m not super huge (I’m 5’6", 180 lbs, and wear 31" width jeans), I’m just lazy and cheap (I literally track every penny I spend). I have to find alternatives now because I haven’t eaten poptarts in 5 months or so. Industrial staple boxes have been working pretty well recently.

2 Likes

Go back and reread my post… perhaps you missed the laughing faces or the part about taking it apart causes such things as “making your tires bald, spoiling the meat in your fridge, give you the flu and other nasty things”

Read it again and maybe you’ll see it was a joke about people always freaking out about taking a yo-yo apart.
:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Yoyo vibe isn’t a joke, DIRK

3 Likes

Yes, yes it is… I would bet most vibe is peoples heads and compared to throws from the 90s there is no vibe in any modern yo-yo. These things play so smooth even after being dissembled hundreds of times. I think people put waaaayyy to much emphasis on minor vibes. I would also be willing to bet that most vibe is player induced from a poor throw.

But then again i am old school and don’t notice the vibe in an imperial. I am pretty sure the average player puts more emphasis on vibe than the pros do. No amount of smoothness can correct bad form or bad play. Like the guitarist blaming his pickups or high action when I have seen people shred with plastic toy guitars. Just my $0.02

3 Likes

7 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::clap::clap::clap::clap:

That was funny!!!

1 Like

I have never had any issue with taking throws apart. I have taken apart many of my yoyos hundreds of times each. Until recently I took them apart for every axle knots. I only stopped because I found a skewer is easier. I still do if I don’t have one handy. Even all my a-rts. Also minor vibe has never mattered to me. If I can still grind who cares?

I see perfectly smooth more as a collectors thing personally. I buy my yoyos to play with. It’s like any collector obsessed with condition. People who own expensive video games but won’t ever play them out of fear of damaging the label or scratching the cartridge. I know many players “NEED” perfectly smooth but I’m far too carefree when I throw for that.
To each his own but it feels like if a skateboarder said he only rides on tennis courts.

4 Likes

Right but you do realize it had to be “taken apart” when it was originally assembled, right?

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there’s nothing magical :sparkles: about that initial assembly. Your yo-yo was not assembled in Valhalla through the perfect hand of Odin. It’s exactly the same as if you assembled it… or re-assembled it… or re-re-re-assembled it…

4 Likes

I’m more shocked with how many staples you use if this is your alternative to excessive pop-tart eating.

2 Likes

True. If you assemble/dissasemble it correctly you WON’T damage the yoyo anyways.

Found out it was cheaper to eat staples than poptarts.

6 Likes

LOL that’ll put some “iron” in your diet man

1 Like