How to flat pack a single yo-yo for cheapest shipping

It’s the same for me. I don’t think I’ve paid more than $5 to ship a yo-yo domestically with the most basic shipping that comes with free tracking.

With a reused little box stuffed with any number of different padding mediums [newspaper, bubble wrap, plastic store bags etc]

I also don’t mind visiting my local post office to ship off a package. I actually kind of enjoy the experience.

4 Likes

This is only if the payment was received as “goods/services” though. If friends and family it’s not an option.

5 Likes

I don’t think so. You just pay them the amount on PayPal, instead of cash/credit card.

1 Like

Try Log in to your PayPal account next time, you’ll be pleasantly surprised that it works in all cases, even if someone pays you cash. It’s separate from the bulk-shipping thing they offer for G&S sellers.

5 Likes

Was gonna say this one… I just use this option and always put 8 oz regardless. I’ve never had it not accepted or delivered in 3-5 days.

1 Like

You guys must have cheaper postage than me. The last small box I sent was a few weeks ago for secret Santa and it cost $10.50.

1 Like

How heavy was it?

1 Like

I’m not sure. Probably around a pound or so.

1 Like

Wow I had no idea that existed! Thanks for that!

3 Likes

I ship yoyos for about $3.75. I use a poptart box and newspaper. People are probably freaking out because that cant possibly be safe for the yoyo. I have shipped probably 20 yoyos in poptart boxes and have had 0 issues with said poptart boxes.

3 Likes

What you may have issues with is the number of poptarts you’re eating! :rofl:

11 Likes

I flat pack stands, but that costs only 70¢, vs three to four bucks. (It took me a while to figure out how to non-machine sort them.)

2 Likes

I just recycle and reuse the boxes form the yoyos I buy. Boxes really aren’t that hard to come by. I wish Uline would take their boxes back.

1 Like

I like it. Thank you for sharing, especially with a larger segment of the community being under 18, they have a way to trade that also secures the yoyo properly.

Not my business but what number vayder was that if you don’t mind sharing?

1 Like

I actually learned it from a super old thread here. Before then I was spending twice as much, like a fool!

1 Like

I find it hard to believe this is worth doing. I decided to look at how much I spent on my last couple shipments. 4.53 and 4.57. The added safety for the throw seems really worth my fiddy cent.

I feel like the pressure that could be put on the bearing seat in the packaging format could cause some real problems. Al is a soft metal.

I would be a wee bit salty if I got a yo-yo shipped to me this way. If something was wrong upon delivery saving the change would seem pretty silly.

5 Likes

If you are

• shipping domestically within the USA
  • willing to schlep to the post office and stand in line to get cheaper first class shipping rates

then I’d agree the benefits of this method are pretty limited. It’s more interesting for international shipping where the costs are far higher.

Zero chance you’d have damage though in this packing layout, it’s really secure. I suspect you could run the package over in a car and the yo-yo would be fine, because the halves are independent and placed securely flat. There’s literally no way to get axle damage with this layout; that’s where all play affecting damage to a yo-yo comes from.

In that sense this is actually safer than shipping it assembled :wink:

1 Like

This isn’t a requirement to get the first class parcel rates. You can order them online, just not through the USPS click & ship. I’ve shipped dozens of yoyos this way from my house.

4 Likes

My god how many poptarts are you eating man :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t know.

I just think you guys might be overthinking things here and putting too much effort into it.

Can’t you just toss the thing into an envelope, slap some tape on it, then be done with it?

3 Likes