How to deal with vibe?

Lol. Been there :unamused:

1 Like

Well not always depends on who designed the yo-yo. Some bearing seats are not as tight as others . In my case my bearing will snap in but it is not that tight you can pull it out with your fingers . The seat takes a size C but I can confirm I have tried several size c bearings and some do sit better in the seat than others

1 Like

Yep bearing falls out after unscrewing the yoyo. Its. C sized bearing but I suppose over the years the bearing post has become thinner due to wear? I dunno how.

Interesting. Never considered a ceramic bearing will look into it thanks!

Ive never had an issue with vibe with an SE onedrop but I did have a vibey firedevil.
I couldnt care less about vibe as long as it doesnt make the string vibrate a bunch and it starts to feel weird in your hands.

2 Likes

Ill try switching out the axle!! I didnt think that could be an issue hmmā€¦

2 Likes

I know Iā€™m a little late to the thread, but I thought this information was still worth getting out there. I love outer ring bimetals, and I currently have 13 in my collection. Coincidentally, my 18 month old loves by metals too. He got hold of one of my three throw cases and decided to give them a couple throws himself. My Mjolnir was okay, but the Edolass and Peregrine had HORRIBLE VIBE. Iā€™m talking 3/10. After scrolling through post for a few days and not feeling very optimistic about the situation I decided to roll the dice and try to press them back into place. I was just hoping to reduce the vibe enough to make them playable again, but I NEVER expected to get the results I did. All I did was place one half in between two 2X4s on a vise and tighten down on it. After I tightened down I backed off and rotated the half a quarter turn and tightened down on it again until it went the full 360 degrees. After that I just wiped out the bearing seat and put it back together. Both are literally a 9-9.5 out of 10 now! I know a lot of people do not have access to a vise, but you can accomplish the same thing using a c-clamp. It will just take a little more effort and time.

9 Likes

If you donā€™t have a vise at home, Harbor Freight has display models. Just tell em youā€™re testing it out. :smiley:

Ivan

6 Likes

Honestly, Iā€™m not really experienced with yo-yoing but hereā€™s my problem. First of all, damn that bearing is STUCK in the seat, I havenā€™t even gotten it out with a remover tool. It just hurts TOO MUCH. Second, I have the offset outlier 2, smooth first day, go to sleep and next day itā€™s so vibey, 9.5/10 and then itā€™s 3/10. Is it possible that I can fix this vibe by using a magic yo-yo concave bearing and flip the bearings over, I also want these magic yo-yo bearings as they are like 5.99 for 2 of them and axles and of course, no c clips and shields.

1 Like

In my experience, bad vibe has come from the bearing not being seated properly. If itā€™s even slightly askew, it will induce a lot of vibe.

I just ran into this with the Mr Butcher. I didnā€™t like the bearing that was in it so I replaced it with a YYR DS. When i threw it, it was vibing like a champ. A deep, consistent vibe that i couldnā€™t smooth out with my finger.

Upon inspection, i saw that the gap under the bearing was not uniform all the way around, so the bearing was not seated flat. The bearing was VERY tight on the axle boss, so i couldnā€™t get the bearing flush on the seat.

I cut a small piece of Emory cloth (a type of sand paper, high grit) and ran it around the axle boss (the part of the yoyo that the axle threads into and the bearing goes around) to smooth it out and take a little anno off. I worked it around carefully so as not to take too much off. Test fitting the bearing after each round of sanding. Did the same to the other half.

After this treatment, the bearing was still snug on the boss but not too tight. I was then able to seat the bearing properly and snug up the yoyo.

The next throw was smooooooth, as i would expect from a YYR throw.

Have a great day and enjoy the throw.

kgb

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the trade off with one drops, you donā€™t need an absolute glass smooth yo-yo. But new one drops Iā€™ve had have been really smooth, no vibe at all. But they are impressionable. If I put anything besides a flat bearing in my rebirth it vibes hard.

I havenā€™t actually tried tuning it yet, I also got some reason feel that inside the bearing is some dust because I feel a vibe inside the bearing like every 3 seconds. Second, I have found a bit more evidence that the bearing is dusty, the bearing wouldnā€™t slow down and would just die instantly. I got this just on the 5th and I go sleep, next day itā€™s just so vibey and I rlly wanna fix this, I canā€™t even do a grind for 2 seconds. Anyways, please send feedback