how to convince my dad that yoyos are different?

Hey guys, ive been getting alot more yoyos latley, and my dad is wanting me to stop because he says that they all just do the same thing, and im trying to convince him that they are all very different, but he wont listen, any advice on how to convince him of this?

Does your dad have any hobbies? For instance, my dad loves golf, so I just tell him,ā€œWell, you have like what? 12 golf clubs?ā€

haha, no he doesnt, he doesnt really have any hobbies, lol

I gave up on my dad. I think since Im not a full fledged athlete like he was he sees me as a failure and Im just used to it so I dont worry about that anymore

Well, Iā€™m a dad, and I got into yoyo kinda late(like, when I was 39, and Iā€™m 40 now). Yoyos changed a LOT from 1978 and now! Itā€™s not surprising, as most things change. I wasnā€™t expecting that much change.

At the core, heā€™s mostly right. You throw them, then bring them back. Itā€™s what you CAN do between those two pointsā€¦

Even I understood there was a difference between looping yoyos and string trick yoyos and it requires different yoyos.

My wife feels the same way. They all do the same thing. Well, she wonā€™t really throw or try, so she canā€™t understand.

See if you can get your dad to do a few simple things. Chances are, once he starts playing with your yoyos, heā€™s gonna either indulge so he can try more stuff out, or heā€™s gonna start getting his own.

Show him multiple styles of play and maybe some sub styles

Youā€™re dad is mostly right. No matter what, youā€™re just gonna do tricks with each yo-yo and learn with them. What you need to do is to convince him to respect your hobby. With each hobby comes certain technicalities and such. For example, ball players require special shoes. To a normal layman, all shoes are the same, but to them each shoe is different. Get your dad to learn about different technicalities in yo-yoing. Not just the products themselves, but also in styles and tricks. Your dad needs to learn more about what heā€™s hating. That way, he can truly tell you to stop buying.

Besides, if youā€™re buying to the point where heā€™s telling you to stop, then maybe you should cut down for a while.

1 Like

Truthfully the only yoyos that are really different are loopers and offtrings. You can do most other tricks on any modern 1a yoyo. You could argue for different materials and shapes but they are all fundamentaly the same.

If heā€™s paying, and he has already bought quite a few yoyos, Iā€™d say just play it cool and be hopeful around birthdays and gift giving holidays.

Now, if youā€™re a responsible teen, with a job, and your own income, and youā€™re saving some money, and being responsible in other aspects (Good grades, behavior, and help around the house) maybe you should have a ā€œman to manā€ talk with your dad, and find out why he isnā€™t okay with you supporting the economy with the cost of your hobby.

3 Likes

Unless youā€™re talking some 2A throws or a 4A throw (or another of the same for 3A), youā€™re 1A moth will take you far.

1 Like

as its been shared - they really all do the same thingā€¦ the question would be why do you have so many? Are you a collector? If so, share that. If you have them because youā€™re convinced you have to or youā€™re convinced it will truly give you different results - I bought a proto star after seeing John Andoā€™s promo video - thought about sending it back as broken, it just doesnā€™t work like his :wink:

As a father I have seen my compulsive nature in my kids - theyā€™ve gone through their pokemon-gotta-catchā€™em-all phase (and more to come, Iā€™m sure)ā€¦ the question I have for them is ā€œwhy? Why do you think you need these?ā€ And quite frankly if their answer is anything beyond actual enjoyment - Iā€™ll slow them down. Because they donā€™t ā€œneedā€ most of these things - they ā€œwantā€ them, and most wants change after you have them.

Have there been other things youā€™ve amassed in quantity before? Where are they now - perhaps your dad just sees it as another passing thing, that in the end will be left for the next big shinyā€¦

I think another valid question (which was asked already) whoā€™s paying? If its his money, well you can see where that argument leadsā€¦ if its your money, maybe he wants you to consider saving or investing in something other than a hobby.

Its really not about convincing him - its about proving why ā€œitā€ makes sense (assuming ā€œitā€ does), in turn earning the right or respect.

Hereā€™s a sign for you
http://www.pubsignshop.com/media/javascript/popup.htm?../PDS-1421.jpg

Or perhaps something more encouraging;

ā€œHonor your father and motherā€ (this is the first commandment with a promise). Ephesians 6:2

2 Likes

this. As a dad and yoyo player myself. The reason for him wanting you to stop buying more throws might not be because theyā€™re ā€œall the sameā€ per se. Rather because he thinks that they become too important (to the point where you HAVE TO get that new one because itā€™s somewhat ā€œdifferentā€) when, really, itā€™s just a toy, letā€™s face it. And theyā€™re not THAT different either.

If you have a nice collection of fairly recent throws, thereā€™s nothing that one new throw will do that all or most of the others canā€™t.

Coming from someone who basically left everything for yoyoing, trust me, itā€™s not THAT important, itā€™s just a toy, just a hobby.

If you want to convince your dad to let you have new throws, maybe you have to show him that this hobby doesnā€™t steer your focus away from whatā€™s important, work at school, help at home, when there are family times, leave your throw to the side and be a part of it. Realize that itā€™s ā€œjust a toyā€, because this is the reality, the truth, no matter how important this toy is to your or my life, itā€™s a toy nonetheless and it shouldnā€™t, ultimately, have that much importance to the point where you end up arguing against your dad and where you HAVE TO get that new throw because the shape or bearing or whatever makes it somewhat ā€œdifferentā€. truth is: it doesnā€™t.

2 Likes

Instead of attempting to convince him to let you have more yoyos, maybe you could convince him to yoyo with you. It would be good to find a way to participate in one of your dadā€™s interests as well. To often parents and kids fill life with things that separate them and frankly,that donā€™t matter much.

My dad was interested in how all of mine are different, so I pretty much went through all my yoyos and explained for about 20 minutes what was different. Unfortunately, it is true that in the end they really just all do the same thing, and thereā€™s no way to disprove that, but you can show him how they all feel different and behave differently to you.

That is what my mom used to say to me all the time. She says,
ā€œWhy do you buy all these yoyos? I see you do the same tricks with them and they all look the same!ā€
LOL. She doesnā€™t really say it anymore cause I donā€™t yoyo that much anymore but when I do, I usually only have 1 yoyo at a time, instead of having a collection of 10 or more. She also tells me I should just buy the ā€œbestā€ yoyo and just not buy another yoyo ever again.
They donā€™t yoyo, so they donā€™t understand the difference of them, and most likely they will never will. They will probably just have to get used to the fact that it is your hobby, and as long as you, yourself are paying for most of the yoyos, there shouldnā€™t be a big problem.

Oh man. Not another one of those ā€œget the bestā€ discussions!

Hmm, if only you had unlimited paper and ink in your printer. Iā€™d say take her along on a scenic tour of the YYE shop and she can see the huge variety in shapes, sizes and weights, along with bearings, response options and more. Then have fun trying to explain that there is no defacto BEST, but rather a BEST as determined by individual preferences and play style coupled with performance requirements.

Youā€™ve already gotten a lot of replies, but Iā€™ll throw my 2 cents in.

What I did was take what I had and trade them. That way, I wasnā€™t spending any money. I started out with 4 yoyos and ended up with about 30, but I didnā€™t spend much money.

On a different note, I have since narrowed down my collection as I am trying to get off the BSTs. I have decided to keep my two favorite yoyos, code1 and sasquatch (2 full size), as well as one mid size (TBD), a pocket throw, campfire, and a plastic, Northstar.

This is only 5 yoyos, and I think itā€™s relatively reasonable to have that many, anything more, in my opinion, is a little over the top. I can see maybe keeping 6 or 7, but thereā€™s no need for you to have 20 yoyos or anything like that. If you have the money to collect, go for it, but it seems your dad does not approve, so thereā€™s really no need.

Convince him to let you keep 4 or 5, that is enough.

see i dont really think ive been buying to much, in the last month, ive traded for one and bought for one and im saving up for a new one as of now

Yeah, i got my first job a couple weeks ago and ive been funding for me self,

Take this as an opportunity to show some responsibility. Open a savings account and start dropping at least 25% of your paycheck into it, if not moreā€¦ It will suck not having a quarter of your hard earned cash, but youā€™ll be thankful for it in the future. In the future when you have $500+ saved up, maybe your dad wonā€™t mind you dropping $50-$100 on a new throw, but not from your savings of courseā€¦

1 Like