How to come up with slack tricks

I know that just playing and spending time learning new tricks help but, how do you get creative to do those slack/whip tricks? Any tips are welcome.

5 Likes

I think it all starts with the basics… as I’m playing, playing, playing, learning, learning, learning I’ll have that mistake or miss that turns into something cool. I try and refine that “mistake” into something repeatable that looks half way cool. Heck if it feels good, doesn’t matter if it looks cool. Flow!

I think a camera would help… being able to go back and see what just happened with the string would be super helpful.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Forums from Pennsylvania. I’m still learning Plastic Whip, my first whip trick.

3 Likes

Welcome brother, I believe you first need to learn the basics, after you had incorporated several slacks tricks, the combination with those will come naturally.
Just a guess, I’m still in the basics. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Slacks need a pinch, experiment with pinching in different mounts. Whips require aim, don’t take you’re eye off the gap.

4 Likes

@KeremTheIcy Welcome to the club.
@Exmime makes it sound easy. It’s probably easier then we think.
Learn a dozen slack tricks, and watch every tutorial, you’ll start to get a feel for the concept.
And i agree with video the more you watch yourself the more you’ll learn what your doing wrong and right.

3 Likes

Its like the How to be A Yo-Yo Ninja Eli Hop Tutorial " easier said than done"

2 Likes

…then go around your leg, now your other leg, now both legs then one arm, now both arms, now your neck, grind it on your teeth, and dismount!

3 Likes

Alright thanks, I have already learnt the newest tutorial on unprld Daniel Kim’s momentum slack trick. It helped me get inspired :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I have tried recording tricks to see how it looked, Slow-mo is even better

2 Likes

I have 3 ways for you:

Mistake that was “perfected”

• doing a trick, miss a string pinch, string slowly floats around the yoyo (nearly matrix style) and you see a loop to throw your finger into. You get excited and try doing it again and again till you can actually hit it consistently.

Random arm flailing

• the most fun of course. Get into a mount you already know. Pinch a string and try to let different parts of the mount go. Where does the string fall? Can you flip or flick the loop a different direction?

Inspiration from others
-probably the most common. See someone do a cool slack trick off one mount. You think huh, wonder what other mount I can do that/ a similar motion off of?

5 Likes