How tight is too tight?

So, I just got myself a Marco, and it’s bloody hella expensive. It’s my first ever high end yoyo. But when I screwed it together it used to make a super loud squeaking noise. I asked some people and they said it was completely normal. However now it never squeaks ever again. I am super scared so I unscrewed the Yoyo and was absolutely relieved to see that the Yoyo isn’t stripped.
But since I believe I have OCD, I can’t help but make the Yoyo as tight as possible. I stripped my N12 Shark Honor a court months ago so that taught me something, but I am scared that if I overtighten my Marco it will strip when it dings or hits my hand at a big velocity. If it’s too loose then it might come off at stage. I’m never comfortable when I play with a yoyo that I could never possibly get again because of the price tag.

Please help.

2 Likes

What is your question?

Edit- I’m sorry I now see your question is the topic title. Close the yoyo until it won’t turn anymore. Then give it a light turn again, snugging it up. There’s no need to really crank down on it.

1 Like

You don’t need to tighten a yoyo like a madman for it to be tight. A bit is enough.
First get it snug so there’s no play between the bearing and the seat and then some. It’s not gonna just magically open.

Take some good advice from jhb here

6 Likes

Gonna use that from now on. Really good advice.

2 Likes

This is caused by the beadblast coating on the bearing post. Nothing to worry about.

Probably because the coating on the bearing post wore down a little. Again nothing to worry about.

A yoyo will never strip by hitting your hand. Don’t worry. That will most surely will never happen.

As far as how tight, screw it together gently until the yoyo shows resistance to normal hand strength. This is how i’vs done it and never had as problem.

3 Likes

Squeaking is bad, perhaps try and put a little bit of lubricant on the bearing post itself.

I feel you on the OCD/neurotic front. I used to obsess over that kind of thing, too.

Squeaking is fine and it’s common to hear that at first on some yoyos. And yeah, that often goes away after the first unscrew and that’s fine too.

As for tightening, CodingHorror’s post hit it on the head. The only yoyos you have to really crank hard on are One Drops using Side Effects as the axle huns are actually separate from the yoyo cups. Gentle to medium crank with a gentle to medium grip until you feel it stop screwing and it slips in your hand.

And don’t worry, I’ve never had a yoyo come apart on me.

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with being gentle on tightening (it’s @jhb8426’s suggestion to go “palm tight”) … but lemme tell you there is no worse feeling in the world than screwing a yo-yo shut… and feeling it continue to turn… and turn… and turn… and slowly realize it’s starting to strip!

uuggghh it’s like watching a horror movie :scream:

I did have one new (at the time) yo-yo that this started happening to me on, I asked on Reddit at the time and people said it was a known issue with that particular model and run of yo-yo. I was able to salvage it by putting some threadlock in one side.

looked it up, it was the Spin Dynamics Sensei.

I never want to feel this :joy::sob:

1 Like