How old are all you guys if you don’t mind me asking?

Well pool must be a sport.

Because I’ve watched guys playing 9 Ball for $10,000 a rack.

And they sweat a lot🤓

PS…Some of you guys are missing something.

Yo-yos are not toys. Toy yo-yos ‘are’ toys.

The yo-yos we use are Skill Toys.

There is a difference.

8 Likes

I’m 31, and have 3 kids ranging from ten to six. They are the reason I took this hobby back up, and I am glad they did, it has been difficult, but fun trying to learn new tricks with them and having something to pass the time over the winter lay off.

7 Likes

Well said; this reminded me of a popular quote from C.S. Lewis:
“When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

11 Likes

29 :o

3 Likes

Great quote!

2 Likes

I am 64 years old. And I use my yo-yos to keep my fingers working.

9 Likes

I’m an old man. I turn 30 the last day of January.

6 Likes

I’m 21. My thoughts after seeing this entire conversation consist of this: A yo-yo is definitely a fun Object. But the definition of a toy is this ( an object for a child to play with, typically a model or miniature replica of something ) Soo! Depending on how we look at this, there can be many ways we look at the yoyo. I personally, would say that a yo-yo is a skill-toy. I have had them since I was a child and loved to play and throw all the time. It helped me develop good hand eye coordination and smooth technique with rhythm. And personally, I like the respect other yo-yo people have for each other because of the time and effort dedicatied to something so fun. It’s a great way to pass time, have fun, learn new things and challenge your skill or just get some great satisfaction and rhythm. All from a simple object that doesn’t take batteries.

8 Likes

“All from a simple object that doesn’t take batteries” I love that :joy:

5 Likes

I’m 34

Is it really debatable to say that yoyos are just toys? Because they are, and no I don’t think adults who play with one should be ashamed of it. It is no different than adults who play video games imo.

Im 31 years old (or 273,336 hours old to be more precise) , and just because it seems like a thing people are saying with this, I have zero kids, no wife, and one job. Currently single, but this has nothing to do with my (relatively new) rediscovered hobby.

3 Likes

I just looked up the defintion and most dictionaries first mention an object for a child to play with. It’s a transgenerational toy - if that’s a word. Kids can play Chess but so can 90 year old men. I understand Chess is a game and not a toy but it’s a game not bound to a certain age or stage of life. Why am I even bothering with this? I’m a single guy on a late Saturday night typing on a yoyo forum about toys. Hahahaha…

3 Likes

I mean, I still prefer the term skill-toy, but it is still a toy. Calling it anything more (like a coordination improving device?) is just overthinking it. I just googled “adult toys” without thinking to try and find some other examples of toys that adults use, but nvm.

4 Likes

I am 65 and have been throwing appx 1 1/2 years

6 Likes

Im 13 and i feel young on the fourms. But it just feels good to talk to people that share my passion

8 Likes

Throwing levels the age playing field. I am 52 and I could learn a lot from teens as well as people in their 60’s. No one here cares about age when it comes to respect. The love of yoyoing bonds us and…I sound like a cult leader. It’s all good. 13, 30, 65. I can learn something from everyone.

2 Likes

Well, I think it is debatable, at least in the sense that the words we choose matter. Tossing in the word “just” is a way of marginalizing something, to deny it any degree of importance or significance. Yet for the many folks who make their living or spend countless hours every week designing, manufacturing, training/competing, or reviewing and evangelizing yoyos, it is much more than “just a toy”, and to suggest otherwise is kind of insulting if you ask me.

2 Likes

I disagree. Mad props to the manufacturers, promoters, etc, for keeping the hobby alive and thriving, but a yoyo is just a toy. You can read into it by thinking saying “just a toy” is offensive on the face of it, but it only is if you intend to frown upon it (words are contextual by nature and the same phrase can be interpreted in different ways according to intent). Im not frowning on the hobby of yoyo by saying that it is just a toy, but damn, yoyos are just toys. Sorry if you are offended.

2 Likes

Heck yeah. Although “just” has nuances depending on the context of the “just.” Sometimes in my frustration I have to remember it’s just a toy and need to chill out but I am not demeaning the yoyo just my mindset that caused me to think of it as something other than a thing which is basically supposed to be for fun. I think we can split this piece of hair enough to make a toupee.

Alot of time goes into designing Star Wars action figures too and some people treat them as collectibles and not toys.