How Often and What do you practice?

I find myself not having the time I would like to practice. Just with all my other responsibilities I don’t have the time to practice I would like. Also, when I was a kid I did strictly 1A; I could not get two Yo-Yos to loop to save my life. My left hand was worthless. I tried 2A again recently and it came to me fairly quickly. Then I find myself doing some 5A which has become so crazy since it’s invention. It was very simplistic and I watch freestyles now and my eyes cross. When I do get to practice Yo-Yoing I have to choose what style I want to do for that time. Do you all have the convenience to practice often and a variety of styles or are you like me where you have to limit yourself for what small allotted time you have? If you do, how do you choose? Not having a strict practice regimine I know is causing my learning to suffer in one style or the other.

1 Like

Most casual throwers actually don’t dip into multiple styles, and if they do it’s only to a minimum level of proficiency. It’s why 1a is so much more popular than everything else.

Personally it felt so nice to finally get “comfortable” at 1a, what holds me back from learning multiple styles is feeling like I’m starting all over again. I know some people love that but I personally don’t have the patience to go through that learning process where I’m bad and get stumped on simple tricks and where throwing just isn’t comfortable 4 more times :joy:

I’m currently slowly working on 3a, I’m almost to the point where throwing is comfortable now. I just think the styles really cool but it’s been an on and off process for years but I’ve been more active with it the past few months.

I can do the bare basics of the other 3 styles but I don’t think I have the patience or interest to learn much more in those styles.

3 Likes

I try to practice, at least a little, every day. I start to get a little antsy if I go more than a day or two without throwing for at least a few minutes.

I have learned so few tricks, that atm I can practice all of them with a single combo routine. I run through that over and over, and if I keep messing up a particular piece of it, I will isolate that and spend some time on just that trick. This is for side play. For front play I just do each of the tricks I know, individually, a few times before going back to side play (front play doesn’t really excite me much, though I recognize it forms the foundation for a lot of side play tricks).

4 Likes

Guys (and gals), I am lucky. Full-time job but I can throw at work between the recreational activities I run. When I come home, all I have to do is feed Buddy, my cat. My practice time is almost unlimited. Sometimes I don’t feel like throwing so I work on art, do Sudoku, or read. I practiced front for a total of 3 hours today and I saw it paying off because I noticed I was smoother and quicker with a lot of things.

2 Likes

I have a chronic spinal cord injury as well as the majority of my spine fused. Because of that, I have to spend a lot of time in bed. I practice as often as I can, usually about 2-3 hours throughout the course of the day. Some days I work on fundamentals like regens or simple plane management. Other times I try to learn a quick trick or element in a day. I just learned Gentrified on Sunday. Lately I’ve been working on White Buddha. That one is giving me trouble right now. I can do it, but my completion rate is pretty low. The tricks/elements that I practice depend on the yoyo I’m using and how forgiving it is. I’ve been putting a lot of energy into my YouTube channel so far this year so I’m almost always doing something yoyo related.

5 Likes

I practice 1a everyday, it’s all I know. I practice for about 2 hours everyday

3 Likes

Sounds good! Do your back issues cause you a lot of pain? I’m sorry if that was too forward to ask. Obviously you’re up and about practicing so that’s great. Wishing you well!

3 Likes

I don’t mind you asking. My back problems cause me to be in constant pain. It fluctuates with my med schedule and the weather. I’ve been dealing with it for about 5 years now. I average a 6 out of 10 on the trusty pain scale just as a baseline. I have a spinal cord stimulator implant. That, and the pain meds that I take keep things to a dull roar most of the time. I’m just not able to be out of bed for more than a couple hours at a time. Chronic pain is no joke. Throwing is one of the few things that I can do that gives me a distraction from the pain.

9 Likes

That’s horrible I clicked the heart. I am glad yoyoing has added something to your life. I have art, Sudoku, and reading as a refuge in storms. I wish you the best in coping with this condition. I wish I could take that pain way.

4 Likes

On average about an hour a day, usually a bit more at weekend

1 Like

How often? Id say on average I get in about 20-30 minutes a day, but some days I can get in an hour or more. I do mostly 1A, but ive been dabbling in 2A (lack of progress in looping is disheartening so I havent done much in the past week). Bought a wooden fixed axle yoyo about a week ago (OUT - Just For Fun) and cant stop playing with it. I havent thrown more than 5 minutes of unresponsive yoyo since I got the thing. Im thinking about trying to find a decent responsive yoyo now as well (I have an old Duncan Pro Z, but it sucks).

2 Likes

I typically practice (or play) with a yoyo for about 30 minutes per day. During the work week I do mostly 1A, and I usually start by doing all the lacerations/whips I know, then either play around with tricks that I’m really familiar with (jade whip, kwyjibo), or practice something that I’m not so good at yet (like tension hooks).

On the weekends sometimes I’ll take an offstring yoyo to the park and practice basic stuff like boings, recaptures, and leg orbits. Very slowly getting better at them!

2 Likes

1A only - I practice about 2 hours a day after work + as many hours as I want on the weekends

2 Likes