How much does weight vary in the same yo-yo model?

I’m curious how much weight variance there is in yo-yos from the factory. Take the Skyva family, as an example. Per the YYE stats on each page:

Plastic Delrin 6061 7075
Weight 65.8g 67.2g 64.2g 66.2g

I am assuming these weights include the yo-yo proper (two halves, axle, bearing) but NOT a string.

I like the Skyva, so I happen to have each one of these! What happens when I measure them on my (finally reasonably accurate) gram scale I got for $10 off Amazon?

Plastic Delrin 6061 7075
Weight 66.7g 67.5g 65.0g 66.7g

:thinking: these are quite different in some cases. Granted my sample size is ONE, but these are the differences I measured:

Plastic Delrin 6061 7075
Weight 0.9g 0.3g 0.8g 0.5g

That made me wonder. What about the same yo-yo? I happen to have a bunch of standard Shutters courtesy @smonuts so let’s see if those vary much by weight. These are all solid color Shutters

1 2 3 4 5 6
Weight 64.58g 64.59g 64.55g 64.42g 64.56g 64.52g

I have one fade Shutter as well, it is 64.66g

Bearing in mind the scale is accurate to ±0.03g, I would say all the solid color Shutters are indeed the same weight. Maybe splashes and fades add a tiny bit of weight due to the extra anodization layers?

3 Likes

I have a scale and the yoyos I’ve measured usually come out to about the intended weight

Ive never had an outlier I recall that had a difference big enough for me to care or even think about this before

They indeed seem consistent with each other but not so much what the store pages say they are supposed to weigh.

For example if you bought a plastic or 6061 skyva, you’ll get something almost 1g heavier than what the store said it should weigh… at least based on my measurements!

(I would also assume there is more weight variance in plastic and delrin models than metal?)

I meant my measurements are always pretty similar to what the store page says. Im a broke college student, I don’t buy multiples like you :rofl:

2 Likes

Within 1 gram doesn’t seem accurate enough to me, at least for metal.

Maybe what happens is there are differences in weights between batches of metal yo-yos? As in, one made in 2015 versus one made in 2016 (from a different machine or factory?) would vary somewhat, even if it’s the same exact yoyo in shape and dimension and material?

I don’t recall ever having a yoyo that was more than half a gram difference(not even sure if I’ve ever measured one that was half a gram difference) from the listed weight when I weighed them

I agree that that’s a pretty big difference from factory specs to actual measurement.

I don’t see why weight should vary each “batch” either. One would assume that the programming of the CNC mill would be exactly the same, so it would have to be a difference in density/weight in the starting material (aluminum, titanium, etc ). That seems unlikely, but maybe possible? The manufacturer may have difference I. Their “batches” of alloys, ores, or whatever the hell they use to forge the metals.

I wonder what it is that would produce such significant differences though.

1 Like

I have an … unusual… number of C3 VaporMotions. Let’s see what they weigh:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Weight 65.01g 64.73g 64.71g 64.85g 64.77g 64.74g 64.72g 64.73g

I believe #1 is from a different batch based on its colorway. Even then, the difference is a quarter of a gram!

Let’s see what the yoyo stores say this is supposed to weigh:

• YYE 64.4g
  • Yoyostorerewind 64.6g
  • Yoyobestbuy 64.5g
  • Yoyoplay 64.5g
  • C3 rep (via reddit) 64.5g
4 Likes

I also have an … unusual… number of OneDrop Deep States. Let’s see what they weigh. This time for additional spiciness :hot_pepper: I will dissasemble them, remove the side effects + bearing, and weigh each half independently.

monkeyfinger ano 1
23.33g, 23.25g

monkeyfinger ano 2
23.24g, 23.28g

solid 1
23.20g, 23.17g

solid 2
23.23g, 23.25g

saturday market
23.11g, 23.13g

splash
23.14g, 23.10g

acid wash
23.19g, 23.15g

copper (new in box)
23.97g, 24.04g

nickel half-swap (with patina)
23.75g

copper half-swap (with patina)
24.35g

It does look like copper coating (and probably nickel too) adds about a gram per half, so maybe ~1.5g heavier in total?

I should have some solids to test in a bit, I’m doubting they’ll be any different than the splash or acid wash results.

5 Likes

Things to do list for the morning:

Go to El Pollo Chicken and buy 5 loco salads from the dollar menu. Count the number of pieces of each ingredient and also weigh each salad right there on the table. To make sure they are the same.

Go to in and out and buy 6 vanilla shakes. Place a straw dead vertical in the first shake. Mark the fluid line at the straw with a Sharpie. Then check the other 5 for consistency before I call my Lawyer.

Line up each yoyo model I have at least 6 of. Then weigh each one and find it somewhat of concern; that they may weigh in at possibly 1/4 of a gram different. And ponder why such things can happen? And seriously consider that very slight weight discrepancies may inflict irreversible damage to the Reputation of the Makers that allow this kinda stuff to transpire.

This is the saddest day of my life…

5 Likes

Much to doc’s chagrin, I have updated my post with 3 more Deep States (two of them were for a half swap I am giving to two friends). I feel like I have enough data points to be confident now on that model.

2 Likes

What a funny way of saying “nobody cares, why does this matter”

2 Likes

Which is kind of a jerk thing to say, anyhow… but people being jerks has never stopped me from doing what I enjoy, and today ain’t no different in that regard.

haters-gonna-hate-8-bit

can’t stop… won’t stop

4 Likes

But that’s why I didn’t say it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dont know, if i had 6 vanilla shakes, I’d be pretty happy :yum:

4 Likes

“[weight] really doesnt make a difference… just preference” - jensen kimmitt

The last time I saw a guy care this much about the difference of a gram I was buying things in a dark alley.

9 Likes

Seriously though:

1 Like

Have you measured the same Yo-Yo multiple times to account for the error in the scale?

2 Likes

I think he has to buy multiples of the same scale too

2 Likes