How important is the weight of a yoyo

I recently bought a yoyo. On the site where I bought it a weight of 67g is specified. But when I received it I noticed that it is quite light and does not have as much spin power by as I would have expected from a 67g yoyo. After weighing it, I found out that it actually weighs 64g. A difference of 3g. I contacted the respective store about this, but their reason was that a yoyo can have a margin of error of up to ±4g and this cannot be felt when you play with it. Only when you weight it on a scale. This is not specified anywhere on their site (especially not on the products page where it should be if they knew this is a issue that the weight of the yoyo can be ± 4g). It doesn’t seem ok to me at all. Personally I think that a difference of 3g is quite big for a yoyo and you can feel it immediately when you play with it. What is your opinion. is a difference of 4 grams plus or minus an acceptable one? And can this difference be felt while playing with a yoyo ?

5 Likes

this is why i buy g2 and one drop and like nothing else… bunch of shoddy and bad QC companies looking at you topyo :upside_down_face:… Or the good ones just go out of business and find something more productive to do other than make yoyos… quite sad

1 Like

Honestly it never affect me much the weight of the yoyo on my playing, usually shape and where the weight is it’s a bit more important factor for me.

Even if I play from very long time I am not sure I will be able to recognise the difference in grams (in fact I never thought to weight my yoyos to see if the description is respected).

In other ways is also true that when there is a difference should be specified as some people is picky on those topics but also you spent your money on a specific products that should have those characteristics as stated in it’s description.
I honestly didn’t knew the rule of “+/- 4 grams margin”, in the big scheme of things I do not think will make a huge difference but it would be nice if specified somewhere.

Personally playing with a 66 and 64 gram yoyo I can clearly see the difference between them. A 2 g is a very big difference for a yoyo. A 4 gram one is very huge. Imagine buying a 64g yoyo and getting a 60g yoyo. The difference in power will be instantly notice.

8 Likes

Designwise 4g is huge. I am actually wondering what’s the origin. Literally can not believe its the machining. Must be choice of material I guess. Both halves weigh the same (within a few .1g)?

On second thought: you have something to verify the accuracy of your scale?

2 Likes

Instead of just guessing blindly, what’s the name of the yoyo, and what colorway did you buy? That information would help immensely.

Lots of yoyos go through design revisions with updated specs, while the specs on the store pages aren’t updated. YYE has several yoyos listed with inaccurate specs for this reason. It’s fairly understandable especially if multiple runs of the yoyo with design changes are just listed by their colorway.

4 grams is a gigantic difference, the only reason I can see that happening is because of a design change to the yoyo. And that you purchased a yoyo with a modified design from the one with the specs listed.

5 Likes

Well I tried weighting other yoyo I have and they have the same weight as described so I don’t think the scale is this issue. I can try another scale

I think even 2 grams is easy to notice, no matter where it is on the yoyo.

8 Likes

Yeah 4g seems like a significant amount. One thing that seems to really effect play feel is the distribution of the weight. A heavier yoyo can feel lighter and vice-versa depending on whether the weight is concentrated near the center or the rims.

But a variance of 4 grams is a big deal, I have trouble understanding how that can even be accomplished in a run of yoyos that all look identical.

What kind of yoyo was it, if you don’t mind saying?

Ivan

I can notice a .2 gram difference just from swapping side effects. A difference of 4 grams is a completely different yoyo.

2 Likes

Just to give you a simple example, the Shutter has gone through several revisions, all of them carry just the simple name “Shutter”, but tweaks to the wall thickness and trying to cull out unnecessary material has shaved off around 4 grams. Original Shutters were 68g, but redesigns over the past decade have got it down to 64.5g. At a glance people still refer to every one of these runs as just a simple “Shutter.”

If you look at YYE the weight of a “Shutter” is 68g, if you look at Japanese yoyo store it’s 64.5, and other US yoyo stores have it listed at 66g. They all just weighed different runs that were continually tweaking the design.

3 Likes

That is for me a significant factor more than the weight itself, I can feel more where the weight is distributed more than the weight itself, also playing in horizontal become quite obvious.

True, but those were separate runs with some design tweaking in between. Within each run there could not have been a margin of error spanning 8 grams unless they switched to a significantly different alloy or material partway through.

I’m in agreement with you, the only way to get that sort of discrepancy would be a design change. Or an error in the product description.

Ivan

Where the weight is distributed is more important than the weight of the throw as a whole in my opinion. This will have the biggest impact on how the yoyo feels on the string and how light or heavy it plays

2 Likes

Well, the weight is important to me.

I don’t like heavy yoyos (>66g), and while Austin makes a good point about weight distribution being more significant than overall weight, I still prefer yoyos that weight 65g or less.

1 Like

Having an error of ± 4g is not normal. Usually weight variation is in the 0.1 region on a run.

I’m curious to know which brand this is cause they are scamming you by telling you 3g is normal and no cause for concern

1 Like

Oh definitely! 68 grams is still 68 grams compared to say 64-65, no matter where the weight is distributed

1 Like

That’s not normal. There’s always going to be a very slight discrepancy, but should never be more than 1 gram difference.

2 Likes

What brand of yoyo is it? We’d all like to know.

1 Like

Snitch dawg, whatever brand that is is doing you dirty.

The difference of ±4 grams is immense. That’s the difference between stability and an aluminum can on a string. You make any standard 65g yoyo 61g and it won’t play right.

1 Like