Anodization weight differences

OK, so I could’ve sworn I read somewhere that depending on the anodization thickness, type of dyes used, etc… the final weight of a yoyo will vary within a gram or so. Please, someone who knows what is up, enlighten me because I might be mis-remembering this stuff. Perhaps others would be curious to know this too, thanks…

the short answer… vary? yes. significant? no.

I don’t think I have two yoyos where oen is raw and another is anodized. I do have two Peaks, but I think one is a half 1st/half second run, and the other is the “The Works” peak.

I can’t see how anodizing would add much more than a couple of hundredths of a gram at most to the overall weight. I have no way of finding out. I guess my digital scale will sit idle tonight!

I’ve read somewhere that the Phenom may vary from 67gr to almost 70gr, depending on the colorway.

I find this pretty significant.

It does. The Nickel/Gold is heavier. However, I think this is because of the nickel and the gold. Mostly the nickel. Gold can be played on very thinly the amount of weight is super small.

My nickel/gold plays a little different than my black with nickel weight ring.

Plating like nickel, copper or a coating like powder are going to add “noticeable” weight. Ano is going to be negligible.

I was speaking about Phenoms with the same material rims, it was something I read when all Phenoms still used the same material for the rims

I don’t see how a 3g variation could be possible with the same yoyo, same materials, just different colours. Could be one of those pieces of misinformation that just somehow gets spread around.

I suspect that the difference in weight between the acid wash, black and purple are a result of different runs being produced/machined slightly differently or something, not the ano actually changing the weight by .5-1.5g. It also appears that the Black, Purple and Gold may have the nickel plated rims unlike the acid wash ones, which would also explain a difference in weight (although not why Purple/Black are listed as having different weights)

Weight differences are usually caused by machining tolerances. Anodizing weight is too small to matter as Kyo said.

Machining isn’t perfect nano-replication so every dimension has a tolerance range. Small differences in the large dimensions, diameter and width, have a big impact on weight - much bigger than anodizing does.

2 Likes

There might be some confusion going on here…

Anodizing adds effectively nothing (so little that it won’t matter at all)… different colors won’t matter much either, no matter what they are.

Plating is different, and can is a ‘bit’ more of an issue, but still almost insignificant.

As da5id said, machining tolerances will vary but again we’re talking within a gram.

I wonder if this rumor is a bleed-over from plastics. Different plastic colors can weigh more or less than others… this is due to the nature of how plastic is colored. It all starts as the same color, typically in pellet form. Then other colors are added to that to get the end result. From one extreme to the other (say white to black or other very dark colors) you may see a somewhat more significant variance… It’s still not enough to ‘really’ matter, but it’s certainly more than what you’ll see in anodizing/plating/etc.

Metal coloring is done on the surface, we’re talking in terms of microns of thickness… plastic it’s all the way through and it’s adding something to the plastic itself.

1 Like

Check out these stats.

They claim 2 grams.

1 Like

That makes absolutely no sense.

I wonder if they were machined in different batches, could be a tolerance issue.

I don’t know, that Kikazaru edition looks like it could easily have 2 grams of ano on it. (If that was how ano worked. ;))

Although an extreme etch could remove enough material for that kind of difference …

There are so many processes and tolerances on a yoyo so who knows.

Are we talking Center drill or laser?

I’m talking anodizing.

Maybe it’s the dye?

read the thread, the dye doesn’t matter.

Anodizing/dying an entire bike frame might add 3g total… a yoyo it doesn’t change anything, and different dyes don’t change anything.

Perhaps weight variation is more significantly due to how aggressive a beadblast is as well.

I guess the main thing is that there are some significant weight variations, but it is not necessarily anodization that is the main cause. Is that an accurate enough assessment?

How about the first Summits, for example… were they treated differently than later runs to where the weight might be different or is it just psychological and they should all play/feel identical?