How many yo-yos for travel?

My wife has asked I only bring 4 yo-yos for our vacation which for me is two weeks partly working and then I have to travel from our vacation to a few work sites and then end on a work conference adding two weeks. 4 weeks with only 4 yo-yos at my disposal and allot of free time in hotel rooms on the back half.

How on earth in my collection of like 100 something yo-yos do I only choose 4. How do I manage only 4 when two will be loopers? Heck how do I choose my favorite pair of loopers? I need a wood throw and a beater mono or plastic. Shoot what if I want to play a hybrid or different shapeā€¦ it seems insane to me to limit to just 4.

So Iā€™ll ask the community if you only could play with 4 yo-yos for a month of mixed simi working vacation and work travel/conference. What would you bring?

Also how many yo-yos do you think is enough for a month of travel. Iā€™m leaning toward my case that holds a dozen plus toss two sets of loopers in the pouches and that still leaves some room for string and maintenance stuff.

14 Likes

I always carry a responsive in my pocket (23 Butterfly AL) and then I have either an organic shape or a very long spinning V shape on my belt loop. I make this choice depending on how many people Iā€™ll be around and how many tricks I might get asked about. I also donā€™t have 100 Yo-yos so itā€™s very easy for me to pick :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think you should be able to count 2 loopers as one yoyo.

12 Likes

Obviously you stash a few away and never bring them out, specifically for the work sites/conference afterwards. Would honestly jam my 2nd looper deep in the backpack.

Thenā€¦

1 edc you donā€™t mind handing to random people (this is the beater)
1 of your favorites
the second looper
responsive (or wood)

1 Like

My problem when traveling is that I never really know what Iā€™m in the mood to use UNTIL Iā€™m there. Sometimes a yoyo I think Iā€™m gonna use for sure just sits in the case most of the trip, and sometimes I gravitate primarily towards one yoyo. You just never know, so thatā€™s why I need the options lol

6 is the least I could imagine myself bringing when traveling. Iā€™ve brought less before and was in the mood for some throws I had back home lol

My current dilemma is Natsā€¦ do I just keep it simple and bring my 12 case? I have more than 12 yoyos I could imagine myself throwing when Iā€™m there, and what if I wanted to sell or trade some of them? Thinking about bringing my FD50 all filled up with a bunch of stuff but at the same timeā€¦ last year I put my case in my hotel room since it was kinda getting annoying to hold onto, and was just chillin with one yoyo. Decisionsā€¦

3 Likes

Depending on the travel. I found 2-3 to be plenty while traveling. Just bring ~5-10 strings and a few spare bearings. If itā€™s a longer trip bring more string and add a set or two of pads just in case.

5 Likes

Usually I bring only one with me and 10 strings plus 2 bearings and the bearing tool.
I think one yoyo is more than enough (I usually go back to Italy 3 times a year for around 2 weeks every time), I found myself more than fine with only one and also it save a bit of space, just a little pouch basically.

6 Likes

I used to bring a case with me but now I have like 1-2 max . Some strings and a pair of pads .

6 Likes

First world problem!

1 Like

Travel light. It will make everything else a lot stressful. One dozen yoyos is not traveling light. The exception is if you are on a road trip and have plenty of space in the car to toss your case.

IMO four is a pretty reasonable number for a vacation. When Iā€™m traveling, I usually go with three: one responsive, one mini unresponsive and one normal unresponsive. And then when Iā€™m actually walking about, Iā€™ll take one responsive and one unresponsive.

2 Likes

Work out some kinda compromise to bring a couple extra or order some new yoyos while on vacation to your hotel. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

1-3 total yoyos is all you need depending on what styles you like. A 1A yoyo, and then one or two yoyos for your other main style of play.

When youā€™re at home and have access to your entire collection itā€™s easy to obsess over the nuances of each yoyo, so you care about variety more. But the moment you take that access to variety away, it just becomes about the tricks youā€™re doing. And youā€™re going to be doing the same tricks regardless of what youā€™re playing, so what you bring doesnā€™t really matter a whole lot outside of enabling you to play the style of yoyoing you want to do. Your collection will still be waiting for you when you get back.

10 Likes

Well, this is completely my view(obviously), but I gotta tell you something.

I am somewhat puzzled that your Wife can step up and put a magical number on your yo-yo limit.

Each of the 4 yo-yos should have a ā€˜back-upā€™_

If you bring a 1A yo-yoā€¦ you should have a backup.

If you bring a 3A yo-yo, you have to have another to ā€˜three-Aā€™.

If you bring a 5A rig, you may need a backup.

If you being a pair of 2A yo-yos, you need to bring at least a 3rd, in case one breaksā€¦

I got a deal with my wifeā€¦ She doesnā€™t tell me how many yo-yos to bring and I donā€™t tell her how many purses and shoes she can bring.

Your wife needs to understand something. Itā€™s not how many yo-yos you bring. Itā€™s whether or not you overuse the amount of time you spend playing with the yo-yos and possibly minimizing quality time you should be spending with your wife.

Whether you bring four yo-yos or 14 yo-yos, that should not matter. If you just fit in a few minutes here, and there, throwing, the number of yo-yos, you have should be of no consequence.

Now, on the other hand, if you bring 20 yo-yos, and you just feel compelled to throw all 20 of them one after the other well, your wife is bored to death then thatā€™s a problem. That being said, you could do the same thing if you only bring four yo-yos. You can just play and play and play until you get bored and your wife kills you in your sleep. That could be a problem too.

Women, for some reason have this tendency to wanna control things for no apparent reason related to logic or common sense. I will give you an example.> on the weekends if I take my wife somewhere and I drive my truck, she insists on my not playing the radio above a certain volume level. To her an acceptable volume level is if the music is low enough that I canā€™t even make out what band it is, but I can hear something related to sound.

Interestingly if we go on some kind of weekend mission and sheā€™s driving her car, she seems to feel that the car runs better if the music is so loud it helps push us down the road. If the music is loud enough that I canā€™t even hear myself think, then I know that sheā€™s the one driving.

If Iā€™m bold enough to ask her why the music has to be so loud, she was just simply say itā€™s not the value that bothers you. Itā€™s that you just donā€™t like my selection of music. Uhā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ okšŸ˜‚

I love my wife, and I prove it every day by letting her get away with murder. But that being said, I wouldnā€™t have any part in participating in a program where my wife decides to limit the yo-yos I bring to a certain number. Thatā€™s just not part of the programā€¦

Take as many yo-yos as you want to take. But just remember to not encroach on quality time that you spend with your wife. Pay enough attention to your wife that maybe all of a sudden she will remember that you were nothing but a big kid and like to bring your toys with youā€¦ Just in case.

19 Likes

1 is usualy plenty, if im on vacation i normally have other stuff to do

something pocketable like a panorama is ideal if your stuck in the airport due to flight delays though
so I usually toss that in my carry on

3 Likes

I like the 6 yoyo case and 2 loopers stashed away. I find that to have plenty of options for each style that way.

4 Likes

I usually travel with a plastic Butterfly and an FH1 with a counterweight, so everything is super replaceable. One of the last times I traveled I think I upgraded the FH1 to a BoltXP, again, super replaceable.

You can get away with a single looper for vacation and just do unilateral work.

2 Likes

OOOPS ALL MY YO-YOS FELL INTO MY BAG nah you gonna be alright donā€™t overthink it just grab some and use those for a month

8 Likes

You must bring one yoyo for each day that you will be gone. Also, youā€™ll need a backup for each one. Youā€™ll probably want to bring some type of portable stage and large speakers to set up in your motel room as well so that you can have a more realistic setting when practicing your freestyle routine. But be sure to use uncopyrighted music only.

3 Likes

If I could only take 4 yoyos with me for a month of travel, it would be the following:

• Spinworthy Knack
    Iā€™ve been primarily throwing the KNack since getting fingerspins down on it. Overall, Iā€™d say itā€™s my most versatile fixie. Honestly, I can just bring this for the whole trip and be totally happy.

• Wildwood undersized bloodwood proto
    This has served as my ā€œsidearmā€ ever since I got it. Itā€™s so easy to carry, thereā€™s no reason not to. Itā€™s also very capable and shoots the moon surprisingly well.

• DocPop PLTPS proto
    A cool and fun throw, for those times when I want to play with bearings on. A metal yoyo with POM rims. Half-spec C bearing. Fingerspin hub. Response is spot on, and it plays super smooth. Another superb moon shooter.

• G2 Respawn Lite
    Itā€™s a great modern responsive yoyo, but I set it up unresponsive 'cause I donā€™t have a better unresponsive yoyo. Lol. Also, I found that it can also play as a fixie if you simply remove the bearing, just like an RBC. Love the versatility.

5 Likes

Does this work for any yo-yos? Do the exposed axle threads shred the string?

3 Likes