How long should my looping strings should be?

Just bought a looping set and I don’t know how the difference of 1a and 2a regarding string length.

1 Like

This isn’t the perfect answer…. It a starting point closer to just totally guessing>

In the included video, Shu Takada says that when setting up his 720’s, he uses string that is 70 centimeters long(about 28 inches). I never have figured out whether he means cut at 28 inches and then tie in the loop? Or the finished string on his finger measures 28 inches to the yo-yo?

So…. This is what I do> >>> but before I tell you what I do, let me tell you ‘why’ I do mine this way>

When you tie a loop into a string, it takes up about 2 inches of string. When you put the string through the loop before you insert your finger, that takes another 2 inches.

So…. I cut my strings at 32 inches, because you will be using about 4 inches setting up your loop.

That method gets you a 28 inch ‘finished length string”.

I will try to find you some better information….

3 Likes

Strictly my opinion here….

Every inch makes a difference. String length can be determined last as your final tuning. Too short and the yo shoots up. Too long and it shoots down. Same goes with string gap and string thickness though…. My approach is set up the yo-yo to the desired response and then make the strings. The way I cut and tie is I measure out 32 inches and tie a figure 8 knot so the end of the loop is still where I measured it. I lose a half inch because of my knot.

I usually put the new string on the yoyo, hold it a about an inch to the right of my sternum with my right hand, and then measure the string from the yoyo to my outstretched left hand, and tie a knot. this length works well for me, and is shorter than from my belly button to the ground. but also this length is based on my wingspan which makes more sense to me for looping. i would then use that string length to duplicate for a second throw, but i haven’t got as far as practicing 2 hand loops yet.