correct looping string length

I have looked at the looping video on string length to get some idea as for the correct length, and shortened my string best I can using this guide. I am having difficulty getting the length correct and consistent, because the yoyo is still hitting the inside of my arm or arm pit on an inside loop.

I am looking for something more specific, maybe relating to the length of your arm or some actual measurement I can take of myself and apply it to the string length.

thanks in advance

Well, I’m sure you’ve figured this out, but there is no certain string length. The problem with hitting your arm is in your looping technique because I can use strings that are long even for 1a and loop just fine, whether it be slower or not.

Mine end up going from the ground to about halfway up my thigh and that seems to work pretty well.

1 Like

Unfortunately, there’s not really a formulaic approach to determining the length your string should be for looping. For me, i like to hold my arm almost straight down (elbow bent maybe 30 degrees or so) and hold out my hand so it’s parallel to the ground and cut the string at the length when the yo-yo will just barely brush the ground when held like this. All the advice you can really get is just cut it shorter and experiment until you find a length you’re comfortable with. However, it sounds like either your technique may be off or you’re yo-yo is not responsive enough if it’s hitting you on inside loops.

1 Like

What I do is hold the yo-yo in my hand, extend my arm all the way out to the side, then cut the string at my chin. I used to use a shorter string, but I thought it looked a little goofy, so I changed it. I don’t think there is an ideal length, though. There’s probably an ideal range of lengths, but I think that range is pretty broad.

1 Like

depends on the yo-yo, ESPECIALLY if you’re talking about wood. just like the gap width of a looper will cause a yo-yo to ‘loop up’ or ‘loop down’, so will the string length (though to a lesser degree). a short string will cause the yo-yo to ‘loop up’ (and a longer one to ‘loop down’). the length of your string has to balance with your gap width. if your yo-yo has an adjustable gap, your string length is really only dictated by how fast you want to go.

i mainly loop with shimmed no jives, and take a couple inches off ‘standard’ cotton string. same with bc’s. bearing loopers, i take about 4 inches (or more). it’s what works for you though.

1 Like

That’s why they “loop up” or “loop down”? Cool. Thanks.

I’ve seen that terminology before. What exactly does “loop up” and “loop down” mean?

I can explain it!

When a yo-yo loops down it means that it catches the string and comes back before you’re done swinging it up. You know, 'cuz a when it’s looping right it comes back right when it starts being horizontal. Well, when it’s looping down, it comes back below horizontal and you get this loop that’s below where you want it.

Looping up is the opposite. It catches the string way too late and shoots back after you’ve swung it up all the way. Since gravity’s working against you at this point, you usually get this stalling bounce at the end of your loop.

1 Like

i had the same problem with this but dont cut ur string it just lies in the techinique .practice a lot u will slowly do it

No what he means is this:

1 Like

that’s more technical than i would have explained it. :wink:

the main issue with it is that ‘up’ loops will continue to move up and ‘down’ loops will progress further downward. you CAN correct this with technique to a degree, but ideally your loops nice and straight and you don’t have to. understanding the relationship between string length and gap width helps this.

Haha I have a tablet so that took me like 5 minutes to upload and everything. :stuck_out_tongue: But also, some people are more visual.

@Brian

Showoff. ;D

My loops have always gone down.

When I started years ago the only guide I had was illustrations in a book. Then a few years later Yomega VHS tape I think made in 1998 featuring Jenifer Baybrook. I purchased it about 2001 or 02. I don’t remember play styles being defined then. They might have been but I didn’t know about it. Trying to learn looping tricks form this VHS tape was not easy for me "monopolizing " the only VCR in the house and having to rewind the tape to see the tricks to learn them between forced to go outside to practice them didn’t lend itself to much success in learning.

At this point I could do bout 5 basic inside loops with either hand looping with full length string. I was “happy” with this until I decided to join the forum with a 2 fold purpose. 1 to become a two handed 2a player. 2 get some 1a play under my belt. I wanted to accomplish my 2a play goal with both an all wood and a bearing yoyo. So I started looking at the videos here.

I shortened my string and double looped my string finger. This helped at first, but since then I can’t get much more then 2 loops fallowed by a corkscrew or hitting my arm.

I don’t know whats gone wrong!

Apparently the “correct” looping string length is 85 cm, per

Why is the string length 85cm?

Most standard strings usually come in the length of 110-115cm.

After conducting questionnaires from a wide range of 2A players, we agreed that the best average string length for 2A is usually set below “85cm”. We have produced the string to fit this length in order to reduce unnecessary amount of trash.