How long do your yoyos last

How long do your yoyos last and are you ever worried to strip them even if you are very gentle?

3 Likes

Forever.

9 Likes

Never had one just die from normal use.

3 Likes

I do not apply any time of life span expectations. Stripping is a non-issue if you understand how to avoid them, and I throw over carpet so dings dont happen either. My throws are destined to outlive me.

11 Likes

Metal yo-yos are gonna last a loooong time. This is quite different than the plastic era. When did metals become dominant … maybe 2010 or so? It hasn’t been that long.

4 Likes

I still have my first shutter from 2014 lol. It just doesn’t have a bearing.

1 Like

Most aluminum yo-yos last as long as you take care of them, but I have worn out an every day throw that I tried to keep going and was very careful with. Short axles that don’t go into the body but a few turns can get a little sloppy and just break down over time. You can do things to keep them going a while, but if you don’t retire your favorite throw you can wear it out.

2 Likes

How many times would you estimate you took that yo-yo apart? X times per day, multiplied by Y days? I am curious.

1 Like

I probably do maybe once a week if that

1 Like

I have a General-Yo Hatrick from the first run in 2009 (2010?). She’s still in beautiful spinning order, and looks to remain that way for the foreseeable future.

4 Likes

Well, it was a Duncan Metropolis and I only take yo-yos apart to fight with bearings or undo really bad knots, so not very often. I did throw the crap out of it and carry it and drop it and bounce it of the cement floor at the shop for probably a year or more. Kept it alive as long as I could by making a longer axle, putting Teflon tape on the axle, then finally cementing the axle in one half, but the threads just kind of disintegrated eventually.

2 Likes

Oh so this is concrete floor hit damage, not “I unscrewed it a lot” damage.

1 Like

It’s thread damage, I don’t know how to CSI it other than to say it got sloppier over the months of constant use and the threads disintegrated. I do have to clean the bearing maybe more often than some folks.

2 Likes

Most of my yoyos are still alive, although my YYF wedge and my MYY T1 Captain are now loosethread, possibly their hubs too.

2 Likes