How do you organize what you’re learning?

Basically title - how do you keep track of the tricks you are learning / want to learn? For a while I used a YouTube playlist, but it’s just gotten unwieldy and before splitting it apart or spending time organizing anything I thought I’d see what other people do.

I’m thinking about maybe 3 playlists: combos, elements, and tricks I’m trying to smooth out? With some light ordering if what I want to work on?

7 Likes

I stopped trying :laughing:

I used the Yo Tricks app for a while and that’s a good way to keep track but you’re limited to only their tutorials. Still, nice to go back for a refresher every once in a while.

I also kept a notepad and had bookmarks, playlists, etc… it just got to be too much.

Now, I’m 4 years in and I just play and not try to think about it too much.

5 Likes

I used to have a pen and paper journal with a bunch of tricks written down with notations for where they were. I would like go down the list everyday and check on everything and edit it. Eventually I just fell off doing that but don’t really miss it. It was definitely a chore and not doing it hasn’t slowed my progress or effected how much I enjoy playing yoyo.

Right now I just have a huge playlist of tricks I want to learn one day. I just remember to do the tricks or elements that I need to work on more to get smooth or consistent when I’m playing. Some very difficult elements or stuff I have learned recently I try to do daily and I enforce the rules my old piano teacher had me do where like if I miss a beefhook, I then go and do it 3 times in a row. My goal with each trick or element I learn is to get so comfortable with them, that landing them doesn’t feel special and I don’t get nervous. They should just feel like everyday business. No big deal. sometime it takes a long time to get there but I have gotten to that point with enough tricks, that I know I can get them all there with enough repetition. Not always like a bunch of reps in a row but usually more like do it a few times everyday for a week or two.

My experience so far has been the coolest tricks or whatever I want to work on the most is what I think of when I’m trying to decide what to work on. Most days I set up a daily intention so I have something to anchor me like, “today I’m going to work on trick X a lot and try to get it more consistent” or “today I’m going to get through the tutorial of trick X so that I can start to get in reps.” Some days I just go fully freestyle all day and goof around. Kinda just depends on my mood. I do like to set some sort of daily intention most days tho bc otherwise I won’t be as good about working on the things I want to get better at but avoid bc they’re hard or I’m just bad at.

6 Likes

I do not keep track of tricks I have attempted to learn… all that would do is remind me I have allot more tricks to polish up on, than tricks I have down pat ready to go.

I work on tricks with similar elements so they kinda build on each other. I am into through triangle moves at the time.

It’s the weekend… everyone have a great weekend

5 Likes

After long enough you stop trying. I’ll literally start watching a tutorial and half way through realize I learned that trick 5 years ago. From the same video.

5 Likes

Yotricks app is the best way ive found. If you need more help or different help than the videos they have, youtube whatever trick youre working on. But that app already has it organized, it has a checklist and every time you check off a new trick, theyre very encouraging. (Moreso than my wife anyway lol)

2 Likes

organize? lol… usually I start on a longer hard trick (still trying to pick up classics like black hops, white buddah and superman, sector y tricks, etc) and get frustrated and find some other random small element (usually more modern) to work on until i can do it in a combo with stuff I know already, and then never go back to practice that harder trick… when i see things i think i could figure out i just bookmark it so i can find something to try when i get frustrated with whatever i’ve been working on.

1 Like

I don’t, that way i get to relearn them at some point and have fun all over again.

3 Likes

After watching others, I usually see a new trick I want to learn and go through a process. I figure out what I need to learn it (as in other tricks) then I slowly work my way up. But if I get bored of it I try to make a new combo out of it with my already known tricks.

1 Like

i have the yotricks app and i use their level up to like videos that i need to perfect, with the ones without yotricks tutorials it’s all just memory

2 Likes

Same, I like the organization of the tricks. It gives you a sense of structure while you work your way up.

2 Likes

I used to on index cards. Now I just play whatever I remember, or try to invent something. Got totally lazy about it, but if you know enough moves, there’s enough to recombine to hold interest.

2 Likes

When I find a new trick I want to learn I bookmark the tutorial and have it on the bookmark bar on my browser. I have 7 up there right now. I wish I could stand infront of my TV and watch tutorials but the wifi on my TV is messed up.

1 Like

I’m on the remedial level but I use a pen and pad. I have an excel spreadsheet with all my yoyos and specs on it. I think I’ll move my list over there.

2 Likes

I just noodle around. I forget more than I learn…

2 Likes

I stopped to keep track of the tricks immediately, once you learn the ladder tricks then probably you would like to start create your own combos and your own elements which will be impossible to remember in the long run, I think a good move can be record every single combo you do in the way that if you want to learn it again or steal from yourself some elements you can do it, also it will happen to see some elements in various video that you will learn which are not even named.
I think a “free” approach is the best, is more or less how I learnt yoyoing too and doesn’t make you tied to list and similar, once the basics are down and safe just go into the world of yoyoing and learn what you think is cool!

2 Likes

I’ve been participating in Trick-a-Week here in YYE for the last 3 years. I got to say @mable is killing it this year with leading us through some awesome new and classic tutorials.
Most weeks i can’t keep up, but i catch up some, and always learn a new elements to use in my own combo.
If your looking for a group to practice with join us!

4 Likes