Need advice on the best trick ladder

Hey y’all. I got into throwing seriously at the beginning of this year. I learned the basics when I was a kid, (walk the dog, rock the baby, around the world, and basic sleeper). Since I picked up yoyos again I’ve been mostly focusing on cool beginner tricks that I can add to my arsenal. As well as working on certain fundamentals as well, like throwing straight and strong as well as keeping my hands within the same plane to keep my strings lined up. This is all well and good, but I feel I need to force myself to sit down in yoyo kindergarten class to really ensure I’m not missing anything minor that would be useful as I progress further. So, I want to do a trick ladder, but one that is well organized and well thought-out. Which trick ladders did y’all use when you were learning? Which ones are you using now? What are some pros and cons for each ladder? Any and all advice is welcome, please and thank you to all you wonderful throwers out there.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the one here on YYE. It’s quick and there are clear and short videos for every trick. Currently on week three of trying to land “rewind” gracefully.

7 Likes

I second this. I used the yoyo expert videos and it was really helpful, because the order felt like you were learning everything that was necessary. The back and forth arrow buttons also helped navigate the page tremendously.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Ladders can be daunting if you let them depending on your learning ability. Some people claim to have gotten to the expert level in weeks or several months. All trick ladders are well-intentioned and made by people who know the craft well but some things in the beginner section I found harder and more frustrating to grasp than intermediate tricks. Try working on whatever seems do-able to you right now so the fun element of yoyoing doesn’t take a back seat to things you find really frustrating and difficult. It helped me a lot that I learned my foundational tricks on a good responsive yoyo.

8 Likes

I agree. In the beginner section I skipped a lot of the picture tricks because I really wanted to get to the unresponsive section. Then once I was able to do the Matrix, I went back and ground through everything that I skipped and felt good enough about them that I was able to check them all off.

The Eiffel Tower, Jamaican Flag and a couple of others took a lot of time, but nothing has been harder for me yet than Rewind. I’m probably going to start on the next trick (Zipper) and continue to work on Rewind. I spent a ton of time on the Matrix also and then iirc the Plastic Whip was next and I got that on the first try, so I’m hoping that not every trick will take me weeks.

The other issue is forgetting tricks. I can’t remember the names of a few of them, never mind actually doing them, so I need to go back and re-watch the videos and try to keep up because I’m guessing that various tricks will be built on later the way split bottom mount led into a few of the tricks that follow it.

Anyway, it’s all fun whichever trick list you follow. My advice would just be to skip anything if you don’t enjoy doing it. And use tape or bandaids or gloves if you start wearing through your skin until some callouses form.

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice evryone, I’ll get crackin on YoYoExpert’s ladder really soon.

4 Likes

Good username. I mostly play/practice between midnight and 3am. Much to my wife and my sleep and my brain’s laments.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’m a graveyard shift zombie and have lots of free time at night lol.

2 Likes

You can create a repertoire, just like a musician does to keep track of the songs they perform and are working on. You might categorize them by their stage of development: “Favorites”, “Down Pat”, “Almost Down”, “Want to Learn”, or whatever. Of course with lists already available, maybe you only need “Favorites”, and the ones you want to learn or cleanup.

It’s so much easier now with things like Keep or One Note.

I’ll be honest that I’ve thought about a repertoire for yoyo more than I’ve actually done it, but I’ve done it with music, and it’s a great tool. I have started a list of tricks that I’ve created, because I want to make sure I can do those tricks, and want to make sure I record them. I want some sort of legacy, meager as that might be.

On the other hand, some time spent messing around with half-forgotten tricks without going back to a tut can help you start to create on your own.

7 Likes

That’s some grade-A advice my dude. Thanks a ton, newer players take note lol. It’s pretty close to how I’ve naturally been working on the tricks and techniques to get better. It’s a great way to keep practicing without getting frustrated and keep the progress steady and fun. I’ll usually try the new trick I’m practicing a few times and if I’m not getting results, then i take a micro break by throwing a trick or combo I’m comfortable with but needs fine tuning, or a relaxing trick that i feel I’m really good at to keep the self-esteem up lol. Music helps to block out any outside distractions. I’ve taken up going on walks and challenging myself to throw while walking. It’s fun and i feel like it’s helping me fine tune my yoyo-time, (like slo-mo bullet-time but specifically in relation to a yoyo moving in midair) lol.

5 Likes