How do you make tricks?

i need help and tips for making tricks and combos

4 Likes

Usually by mistake.

7 Likes

Use the different elements of tricks you know, try something new when you reach a point in trick creation where you’re not sure where to go next. Watch videos and incorporate elements of other people’s tricks you like, not the whole trick just different elements you might not have thought of trying before. Do variations on different elements you’ve used before. Listen to music and go with the flow of it.

7 Likes

The real trick is remembering what you came up with a couple of days later.

I like watching Jeremy’s vids. I rarely do the trick as he demonstrates, but I borrow some idea, and see what I want to do with it.

Basically I’m “stealing” some element or two, and going off on my own. I find this a lot easier, because I got pretty lazy about learning yo-yo tricks.

3 Likes

At first it is combining elements that work smoothly from the mount you end up in after finishing an element or trick. Like if a trick lands in trapeze you could go into a kwyjibo, or if it lands in a double or nothing (like a kwyjibo does) you can add in a matrix loop or something. Sometimes you can figure out more unique ways to combine tricks that are also elements themselves. Just mess around with your trick repertoire until you stumble across something that flows.

2 Likes

To piggyback on the above. I usually start learning something on YouTube, get lost or stuck, and then find my own way out.

3 Likes

I see nothing wrong with this. At the end of the day my goal when learning new tricks is to use the elements I learn later in my own. As long as you get something out of it.

Also imo there aren’t many good tutorial channels out there. Either they don’t give great angles or they aren’t good at explaining what they’re doing or both. The yotricks stuff is hit or miss for me, one of the people that does them doesn’t relay the information in a way that’s helpful to me.

2 Likes

I think there are so many it’s too easy to jump around. Internet ADD.

1 Like

Learn a trick and make it your own. Learn tutorials and use those elements in different mounts. Mix the steps up. Explore. Do something you havent done before.

1 Like

Generally endless experimentation until you find something you like. i’ve been playing around with the under or nothing mount and I’ve found a couple elements into and out of it. Fun

2 Likes