How do people come up with new tricks?

I mean I get in theory that it’s just dinking around with string position in mounts and suddenly accidentally throwing into a new thing but like how do people just KNOW that moving a string a certain way on the yo should work? It befuddles and disgruntles me

6 Likes

For me personally it’s a lot of trial and error. But yes, there’s a lot of combining and blending elements that you already know, and there’s definitely a lot of slowly moving throw the motions to figure out what works and what doesn’t.

10 Likes

I take elements that I know well or am just currently concentrating on and look for different ways to carry the momentum towards new combos.

Or I pick two unlikely elements and try to find ways to link them.

4 Likes

what I do is I go in mounts I know then I think what I wont do in that mount and I do that which literaly made me so many og combos doing this trick. I recommend you to try this and dont be scared of knots if you get many just solve them, in the end the result will be worth it!

6 Likes

Brandon Vu made a video a long time ago about it. I can’t really yet but I think it just takes getting familiar with a ton of different tricks to get to that point?

4 Likes

For me, it usually starts as a mistake that lands me in some weird unexpected mount, then I just try to replicate and make it smooth. The longer you throw, the more second nature it will become.

8 Likes

This was a weird one
mine was total boredom + beer, I’m not even joking. Even I forced myself to learn new tricks on youtube I still don’t get it especially with the unfamiliar string positions from technical ones, but that changed when I decided to take a sip of alc and let my brain flow randomly while throwing and few minutes later I discovered a new trick. It takes months to polish the final trick that I’ve created and badabing badaboom thats how I learn new tricks until this day.

This might not recommend for everyone unless your drinking tolerance is high.

2 Likes

I take the longest spinning and most stable yoyo (in my case the Grasshopper GTX), I get into a mount and I think about every move, like a chess match. “How can I go from here, what if I curled this finger in what does that do, what if I hit this string, can I pinch these strings and form a slack?” Stuff like that. But I’m not experienced or know enough other tricks and elements to really make my own stuff yet. This is just when I’m messing around at night usually

5 Likes

I would have said just keep playing and try different tricks, pick elements from other people’s tricks and then modify and add your own flair, and so on…

… however I’ve been having the exact problem still even knowing that. Saying you should do this and this is easy, but I feel totally stuck now building new tricks, at least with 1A.

With 2A it’s the opposite, I have tons of ideas, I just can’t execute them lol.

6 Likes

One of the technique is learn as many combos as you can in this way you know so many different elements, with experience you can already imagine what will happen if you go to a position to another so you can start from a “set of position” and then just mess with it.

What I do at the beginning is set the first mount (the hardest part for me) and then the trick start to flow, usually I try to do the opposite of what my experience say, if I know where the string goes if I pop the yoyo in front of me than I will try to pop with crossed arms and under the string for example, I try to mess around with my own knowledge sometimes it work, sometimes not.

Then it comes everyone personal style, in every combo I made I try to put as many slacks as I can just because I love them, other people probably know how to make it a godspeed combo from my same position, someone other maybe will make a tower out of it, it’s cool that everyone has a personal style and from the same initial mount can go in so many different ways.

If I can leave a little advice, just go against what you already know in this way you experiment the unknown, you will find so many new ways to escape from the various mount and create new positions, I think this is the cool thing of the yoyo, the tricks are basically unlimited!

6 Likes

You learn an element u accidentally/intentionally do it some other way which is another variation of it, voila new element. Or u take a similar-ish mount from an element and do something weird with it. Its basically the more u frick around, the more you find out

4 Likes

For me, it’s been a thing of “oh, I should try this instead as it flows right into this” or a “whoops I landed on the wrong string, let’s see what I can do from here”. The more elements you know, the easier(to some degree) it will be to come up with something new.

Myself, I’ve learned that rather than focusing on learning an entire trick, I’ll find a main element that looks interesting to me, learn that part and just play with it on my own to see what possibilities there are.

5 Likes

“I wonder if this is gonna work lol”

“wow that’s actually kinda cool”

basically that I imagine

or, along the same lines

“I wonder if I can do this”

“wow yeah I can do this”

2 Likes

for a long time i would be really intentional about trick creation. like i would think of mounts or elements i wanted to manipulate and see how they reacted to “wrong” movements or segments/paths which felt precarious or “forbidden”.

what started happening to me more and more is that i would work through creating something in that way - new, but inherently derivative - and i would film it, and then as a literal afterthought i would keep rolling and out of nowhere would come up with something WAY fresher and further outside the box than the trick i’d just spent time developing.

it occurred to me that this is the way it is for most things. there’s an intellectual or practical process to getting into a creative space, and then once your there you can shift gears way more freely. and getting there is a process which can be practiced and improved. the past few years, almost all of my more out-there stuff has been a happy byproduct of some (seemingly) unrelated intention.

it’s very much in line with the jazz mantra “learn the rules, then let them go”, but in this case the “rules” are really the focus of your creative attention. you can make a new trick by playing with old pieces, but the process of playing with old pieces actually prepares you to see or create all-new pieces, which feels fresher and more powerful.

12 Likes