Creating tricks

Hey! So I am relatively new to throwing. It’s only been about 6 or so months, but I’ve practiced a lot and picked it up pretty quickly. I wanted to try creating some tricks of my own, but I don’t really have any idea how to get started. Any suggestions? I’m pretty lost.

What works for me is starting with a familiar mount or trick and then taking it in a different direction. Hop the yo-yo onto a different string, pass it over a different finger, swing it the other way, etc… A lot of it won’t work, it’s trial and error, but eventually you’ll get something that looks cool and feels right. Just do some different things and see what you come up with, there’s no wrong way to practice new tricks.

2 Likes

to make things up do weird things then go from there.

or

watch a yoyo video and try to mimic a trick but not copy it. there is usually a deviation in the trick there and your style takes over.

This. That’s pretty much what I do…

The hard part is coming up with a name for new tricks ???

Purposely mess up on an already made trick as I like to say. Those mistakes branch off to possibly something new.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSkhv9nzhj4
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs7bL7B2YqY

"Thanks man this helped a lot. You know that time when you first start getting into advanced tricks you don’t know what to do and you get stuck. Well I’m stuck but this is helping.
"
-Zach Gormley 7 years ago on that second video lol.

1 Like

If you’ve learned a lot of tricks, then I suggest trying to combine them in your own way to make combos first. Once you’ve got those combos, start experimenting and changing little thing by little thing.

Another thing I try, if you want to do some tech, is intentionally get yourself into a knot formation (a formation that if you dropped completely would not your bearing or string) and then try to find a smooth, cool way out of it.

Good luck.

Just my 2 cents here. I think body involvement is a key to yoyoing, specifically the arms. You can easily make a trick interesting if you add some body elements in. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys! This helped a lot. I started with just stringing tricks together into combos, and even managed to come up with a few (simple as they may be) tricks of my own. It’s exciting haha.

A lot of people stress making tricks before they realize in order to make new tricks you have to have a comprehensive understanding of how basic tricks work and how the string will respond when you move it.

Six months is good to start learning the basic tricks and understanding every nuance of how they work before you move on and decide that you are going to crank out your own.

You must have a foundation to stand on before you can reach any further. However it is good that you see the possibility of making kew tricks just recognize the difference between comboing and trick making.

I’ve been off and on throwing since 2010 or so. I spent the majority of the time taking my sweet old time working my way through the YYE tutorials and working on what I know. I took a break in 2012 as I felt like everything beyond Kwijibo was beyond my level and didn’t know where to go. Fast forward to 2015 when I decide to pick back up on the more advanced/expert tricks here. Late 2015 I began venturing in making my own tricks but found myself limited. Over the past few months I’ve began venturing into trying some of the CLYW cabin tutorials even if I can’t land the whole trick. I mainly use it as a source of inspiration, find an element and then begin playing with that element on my own to see if I can come up with something.

What I’m saying here is learn as much as you can, learn a variety of elements. Also try doing something different when doing a trick. Many times things are discovered by accident. There’s a lot of trial and error (and knot picking).

Knot picking is fun, especially with one piece fixed axle, it really brings the nerves up.

I really appreciate what Alecto is saying here. There’s a strong foundation of tricks laid for us that we can use ranging from very basic to complex. Both are indispensable for us to creatively build new ones and push yoyo further. It’s great to always aspire for new creativity, but never be too keen to prematurely push forward without a firm understanding of foundations. Every discipline and field of knowledge is build upon foundational principles.

95% of my tricks have always been creating by making a mistake. I’ll be speeding through a trick and then bang! something lands wrong or goes in a different direction, and you take it from there! Don’t be afraid to flail your hands or twist here and there to make something new.