how do you make good strings

ok

YYE sells quality stuff. If it really does break that often, you could get some custom made string.

By me. ::slight_smile:

I agree with the previous posts, quality strings should last you a bit longer than that, so you may want to do some experimentation to see what it is that’s causing your strings to wear out so quick.

That being said, there are a few things you can do to make good strings at home. First, you’ll want to look around at some of the string-making tutorials and make a string-making setup that works for you. You basically need a hook attached to something to wrap the thread around, something to twist the bundle of thread up (commonly a drill or Dremel with a hook in it), some way to fold it in half once twisted up while keeping it tight so it doesn’t bunch itself up, and some way to back-twist the string while keeping tension on it (usually running the drill backwards).

Second, find some decent thread in pretty good quantity. Your typical sewing thread at a craft store is usually coated cotton thread, which is nasty for making string, and it’s way overpriced for not enough quantity. You’d be surprised how much thread it takes to make yoyo strings: probably 15-20 meters per string! I can recommend ThreadArt.com personally, having bought 600-m spools of polyester sewing thread for $0.89 apiece and 1000-m spools of woolly nylon at $2.99 - they have all kinds of thread at very reasonable prices.

Third, don’t be afraid to experiment. I guarantee you won’t get it perfect the first time, hence the requirement of large amounts of thread. Also, there are a lot of different factors you can adjust to change how your string feels; tension while twisting and back-twisting, number and type of threads (you can mix different types of thread to change the overall texture), how much twist you put in the string, etc. will all affect your string, so if something isn’t working then change it.

If all that’s too much work, go ahead and continue to buy strings. Personally, I stopped buying string when I started making my own. I think the comparatively low price of thread, the ability to make my ideal strings the way I want them, and the ability to experiment and try new things are well worth the extra time and effort. Once you get a working setup and understand how to use it, it’s actually really not that hard to make good quality strings.

I’m 15

And me 28

Here`s some of my diy strings

Those look really good!