How do you get over your new-yoyo-scratchphobia?

There you go! There’s nothing wrong with caring how your property looks. And, I think anyone who cares that you care how your property looks has a phobia called “mintthrowphobia.” So, continue to care if you want to. It’s your stuff that you paid for, and you should be the one to decide how it’s kept. Some people keep nice things, some don’t, and all in between. There is no treatment required for this condition. It’s all about what you want, not what anyone else wants for your stuff.

1 Like

LOL!

total artist i triple dog dare you to post a picture of one of your yoyos thats damaged. not saying that you dont actually play them or anything…

nolangherity

snow…

Just buy a ReGEN. Problem solved. ;D

Seriously though I don’t think there’s a huge problem with being concerned about the welfare of your throws. If I’m yoyoing outside in my garden I’ll stand on the grass rather than over my path. When I yoyo inside I do it over carpet or wooden floors rather than the tiles in the kitchen. I don’t see it as being paranoid as I don’t get bothered by dings at all, it just seems wise to me to take precautions to keep ones most prized yoyos in good condition.

Whilst “I’m afraid to use my expensive yoyos” seems a bit excessive, “I walk the dog with my Draupnir every day and don’t care” seems to take it to the other extreme.

As with a lot of things in life, I feel there’s a happy medium. “Dings don’t bother me but I do my best to avoid them where possible” allows you to keep your yoyos in good condition whilst still enjoying them to their fullest. :slight_smile:

Dare is accepted. But, not because I care what anyone thinks of what I do with my stuff. I just never turn down a photo request. I quadruple dog dare you to show me a mint throw. Not that you can’t take care of your stuff and don’t buy new yoyos, or anything…

Cell phone pic:

By the way, I have a double. :smiley:

http://cdn.onlineincometeacher.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/The-Horror-Of-Bad-Writing-How-Not-To-Get-Your-Guest-Post-Published.jpg?6a135f

Nolan, are you the new mgod?

1 Like

I think your last paragraph hits the nail on the head. Dings aren’t the end of the world, but that doesn’t mean I won’t try to avoid them on my nice stuff. Throws like the Regen are great for situations where I want to throw but know there’s an increased chance of dings. So long as I have cheaper throws that I still enjoy using thoroughly, I don’t see a problem with only playing my nice/irreplaceable stuff only over soft surfaces.

“I will play any yoyo any time anywhere” does not equal “I go out of my way to ding my stuff all the time everywhere,” that’s for sure.

You buy a car. You drive it. I presume you do everything you can to avoid rucking it up. With care and a little bit of luck, it doesn’t get damaged beyond expected wear and tear.

You buy clothes. You wear them. I presume you don’t intentionally squirt mustard on them. With proper washing and a bit of luck, they don’t get stained and ripped beyond expected wear and tear.

Same thing goes for yoyos. It’s not a flippin’ dimetric opposition we’re talking about here. There’s a difference between taking care of your stuff (which we all do) and obsessing over your stuff. One is so much an “expectation” (taking care of your stuff) that it should really go without saying. The other is unhealthy. If you are worried about your yoyos to the point that you’re not enjoying them anymore, that’s Not A Good Thing.

I honestly think there ARE people like TA and probably others in this thread who are fastidious without having actual anguish about it. But I have seen enough people who have ACTUAL stress about the condition of their yoyos. And that’s not the good kind of stress to invite into your life. Competition for life improvements such as promotions at work? That can be helpful and motivating. Stress about a scratch on a toy? Gotta rethink your approach, in my opinion.

The OP asked “how do you get over ___phobia?” The OP is not implying that they enjoy that feeling. Otherwise the question would be, “Who else absolutely loves keeping their yoyos in mint condition?”

Just ask yourself, “Do I feel actual stress, or do I just enjoy this level of fastidiousness? Do I really WANT to throw indoors over carpet, or is that the only way I can relax and play?” If it’s the latter of the first and the former of the second question, then you’re fine already. If you’re not fine, follow yoyodoc’s advice. :wink:

1 Like

Alternatively, you could take up 3A:

http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10013016_1489612391261024_654892422_n.jpg

I don’t think it’s possible to be a ding-a-phobic 3A player. That’ll cure anyone. :wink:

1 Like

ive been a little sensitive to dings as of late but i recently got a spyy solaris thats beat and it plays so smooth so as long as the dings dont affect play im fine now…

Is it me or it really looks like a good design?

4 Likes

bahaha we both know a single scratch on a wyyc CYPHER does not count. i have a feeling its just a paint mark from hitting a white wall anyways. would rub off. 0/10.

Now those are actually gorgeous in my eyes, but I am talking more about the large dings/gouges kinda thing

1 Like

That was metal on metal, a deep ding. I have some other damage on high ends, a whole case of “played condition” throws. They are separate from the others though.

But, back to the discussion, there is no need to cure a so-called scratchophobia. If you plan your collection accordingly, and allow yourself variety, you can care how your stuff looks and throw with reckless abandon. Plastics, doubles, titanium, are all options. So, the idea that people can’t care how their stuff looks and throw with reckless abandon at the same time, is ridiculous. Along with any ridiculous presumptions that they are somehow “missing out” on something.

If we had that idea about beating up every yo-yo, all these preserved mint condition collectible yo-yos wouldn’t exist in their original state. We get to see what a mint Peak looks like in person, not by coincidence, but because someone cared enough to preserve it. Some of us are willing to make the effort beyond our own personal “fun.”

Don’t cure the scratchophobia, manage it. :wink:

i get over it by not caring if something happens to it in the first place. my yoyos barely ever get dinged because i usually throw over carpet but if it happens it happens. when i travel i have always deliberately taken something that is easily replaced (but often still mint) in case it gets lost/stolen/destroyed but that is because im insane and dont trust baggage handlers

I think we are not differentiating between “scratchaphobia” and “I would rather not damage my throws”

That is the debate I’m seeing anyway.

I think scratchaphobia is like what I have with my Gnarwhal 2. Yeah, it’s fairly common, no special color way in terms of rarity, but it’s the throw I had on a pedestal when I started, it has a special place in my heart, and I definitely do not take it out of designated safe areas. That throw is the one that gives me scratchaphobia, I just do not want it damaged whatsoever, for any reason, by anybody, ever. Period. Stupid reason, maybe, but maybe I’ll just have to get another gnarwhal to play outside the house. I love throwing it, just safely, away from hard surfaces and corners… In a padded room…

Then there is not wanting to scratch my throws. I have played all the others over concrete at least once, and even caught the yoyo with my hand when I thought I was gonna loose it, but I play them anywhere without as much paranoia, I’m just careful. That pretty much goes for my metal throws, I am a collector at heart, every hobby or activity I have, I like to collect stuff, and I like that stuff to look new as possible. But that doesn’t keep me from enjoying throws every chance I get. Even my precious Caesar has been dropped from sitting height by the typical “can I see it?” person, on vinyl library floor, but a hard surface nonetheless. Didn’t break anno, but I didn’t try to slit the guy’s throat with a pencil when it happened. Just made me wince a bit and make a mental note of what kind of instructions to give next time someone wants to look at my $100 throw. Sure I would’ve been upset for a while if it did ding or get a flat spot, but I’d throw it all the same, and enjoy it like always

Then there is “scratches are character”
My regen is my beater. That thing has kissed the campus pavement more times than I’ve kissed my girlfriend, and while I stop and check the damage, I just keep going and think of it as “look how much I practice” marks. That’s pretty much how I feel about all of my plastics.

WOW!!! I am scratch a phobic and almost cry when it hits the ground!!! XD but I must say those scratched up 3A looks cool. :stuck_out_tongue:

I mostly throw over carpet so I do not get too many scratches or dings, but I figure that if you don’t get some marks on your yoyo you just ain’t throwing!

I would try to reverse that trend if I were you, or your girlfriend may find other options. :wink:

This is how I feel too. I will always have a healthy dose of scratchophobia which leads me to throw over carpet or grass first if the option is there. But, when I have dinged a yoyo, I find that it gives me a new freedom to then use that yoyo anywhere. Some people call dings character, but to me it’s like a history. I remember which ding is which, when they happened, why they happened, and who I was with. I enjoy being able to travel down memory lane for a while.

One of the most memorable dings is when a student was using my dinged up Gnarwhal, made a mistake in judgement and struck another student standing too close right in the groin. The yoyo hit his zipper and made a series of “pricks” in the ano. The students then named that yoyo “The Ballbuster” and now it is often requested to be borrowed during our break time (our version of recess).

So sometimes dings can be funny too. :slight_smile: