How do YOU convince YOUR family to take you to Yo-Yo contests? | HELP go 2 SER.

SER is gonna be in Atlanta this year

Well there ya go, then.

can anyone else help with this?

Yo jen, take this boy to this thing so you dont have to listen to him about it anymore. ;D

So why do you think what anyone here has to say will convince your parents to travel 500-600 miles so you can go to a yoyo contest? Do you seriously think you have a chance of contending for the top 5 spots? If so, use that as your argument, otherwise put it on hold until that is a reality.

i think i could get at least top 5.

Do you know who the competition is?

look man, i yoyo for fun. and i haave confidence

That’s not enough to convince a parent to travel that far.

2 Likes

Dear Jen,

Let your son go. He is really good. Yeah sure it’s YoYos. But it’s his passion. If you can afford it, and he is otherwise good, let him go.

Have you tried just explaining to them just how much the contest means to you. How important it is to some people. And even though it may not seem like it, but yoyoing is a great social environment which helps build people skills, confidence, and many other benefits. Tel em you just need to go.

Honestly man, if I were you, and I was able to go, I wouldn’t even compete. I know you haven’t been yoyoing very long (relatively speaking) and just being there would be a good experience to improve your skills. Instead of going and worrying about competing, I would talk to all the talent there and just learn. I think that’s the most valuable part of going to a contest, especially one as large as a regional contest. I don’t want to sound like a jerk or anything, but I don’t think there is any way you will make top 5. If you do, I will be seriously impressed, but I really doubt it. Regional contests are HUGE with talented players that will be coming from all over the country, not just from that region. I don’t know exactly how big SER is, but if it’s even comparable to PNWR or BAC, I’d be impressed to see you make it past prelims.

Regardless of that, I still think you should go. Like I said, any social setting with yoyoing is a perfect learning environment, and a contest like that is even better. You can learn a lot from the pros and watching everyone there helps motivate you to improve as well. I think that attending would be an invaluable experience, and you should definitely go. (So please Jen, take your son to SER).

But again, I wouldn’t compete if I were you. It’s just added cost for registration and stress on you to do well that will suck up time you could be using to simply learn from those around you. If you do decide to compete, good luck. I don’t think you’ll make top 5 honestly, but anything is possible, and this is just my opinion. Again, good luck with everything!

1 Like

Only had to ask once before I was able to drive myself, but the one time I did (15 years ago, contest was 5-6 hours away) I researched what was in the area before I went to talk to my parents. Found out there was a racetrack nearby (my dad loves the ponies) and that there would be races that day, so my dad thought it’d be cool to go. We did the contest for a few hours, then wen to the track.

Moral of the story: if possible, show your parents the trip can be enjoyable for them as well.

Earn it. Do some extra chores and in exchange, they take you to a contest.

Blimey, 500-600 miles is no joke… convincing anyone to drive you such a distance would be a mean feat unless you slapped a stack of benjamins in their hand. Come to think of it, that’s probably your best solution. :stuck_out_tongue:

Put yourself in your parent’s shoes and think “if I were them, what would convince me to drive for 10+ hours (the speed limit on motorways is 50mph over there right?) to take me to a contest?” You can give them all the reasons under the sun why you want to go and why it’s good for you to go, but that doesn’t change the fact that the journey is probably the deciding factor here.

I mean that’s a solid drive right there, and if you’re not the kind of person who is happy to drive for that long (some people just don’t really enjoy driving), then it’s a huge ask. Chances are they’d probably be happy for you to go to a contest if it didn’t involve and entire day’s worth of travel.

Sorry I can’t be of much help man, and I hope you’re able to get to the contest… but I want you to understand that it’s not unreasonable on your parents part to refuse such a drive simply because they don’t wish to do it. :-\

Dear Jen

Take your son to SER if you want to or if he works really hard to get to it and achieves his goal.

1 Like

Dear Jen,
If you don’t take him to SER he’d be sad and that would suck.
Also where can I find info about SER since I live in Tennessee and would like to go

1 Like

Actually the speed limit varies between 50 to 70 depending on the highway, but 50 is probably a good average. Google maps gives the time as about 10.5 hours.

You can’t go wrong with a stack of Benjamin’s. That’s for sure.

it would only take about 8 hours for me. and plus my mom likes to drive/travel