How do you convice someone that yoyos aren't a stupid hobby?

But mechanical keyboards are a hobby. Am I right? Right?

Cheaper than watches which are also definitely a hobby that I definitely do.

5 Likes

Sure but spending hours lubricating and filming switches and complaining about virtually imperceptible ‘scratchiness’ or a ‘hollow’ sounding spacebar on your new $800 keyboard you bought in a groupbuy and received after 2 years is not a good and healthy hobby. Its a whole community with ‘Princess and the Pea’ syndrome about unnecessarily expensive objects only designed for input. One for any computer you own is ample.

1 Like

Not going to get any arguments from me about group buys in the keyboard community; those things are the worst.

When I was more into it, I would rotate boards.

It actually feels a lot like yo-yo, chasing that imperceptible feeling (I mean, what even is “floaty”?). But the barriers to entry kind of suck.

2 Likes

Sorry OP. I totally ignored you to talk about mechanical keyboards which is definitely a difficult to explain hobby.

I agree with other posters that context is key and it would help to know ballpark how old you are and how many other throws you have. If you’ve 13 and you’ve got a reasonable plastic unresponsive and you don’t have money of your own to put up, I’d probably encourage you to work with what you’ve got and show your parents your progress. There’s nothing more that I love than seeing my kids work hard at literally anything. I don’t have to understand it all or relate, but if I see passion in them I want to lean into it.

Good luck with your parents!

1 Like

Key takeaway don’t get into keyboard hobby do yoyo instead

5 Likes

It’s certainly cheaper and less emotionally draining.

3 Likes

I need a new computer, I don’t plan on spending 80$US on the whole thing. Normally I would say who needs an 800$ keyboard and then I’m reminded that there’s a 350$ Diamond coated yo-yo in my pocket.
This statement could be construed to say that yo-yos are a stupid hobby however you must admit keyboard junkies are worse. So like @Captrogers said, keyboard’s bad, yo-yo good.

2 Likes

Keyboards not bad, just more $$$. So is sailing, motor sports, skydiving, probably skiing…

I got buddies that collect guns who make my yoyo collection look like child’s play in value per item and a buddy with classic cars that makes me feel absolutely poor.

5 Likes

Skiing is fun. If my back wasn’t so jacked from skiing I would ski more often. Also it’s an expensive very seasonal (or extravagantly more expensive year round) hobby.

1 Like

BAD. Very bad possibly the worst next to yoga. Never again.

Oh I casually yoga. I kind of like it. I don’t do IRL classes or retreats though.

1 Like

I have family with boats, friends with boats. I was roped into owning a portion of a boat with some buddies. I really don’t like boats. I like other peoples boats just fine but owning my own boat sucks… also boat culture… just isn’t my speed

1 Like

So I don’t like skiing but what I actually don’t like is being the facilitator of skiing for my whole family.

In order to ski I have to:

1. Schlep all the equipment for my wife and 2 kids.
  2. Get boots on two kids with sensory sensitivities and low thresholds for screaming.
  3. Facilitate lessons for children. One child needs private.
  4. Facilitate lessons for wife. Also maybe attend lesson with wife so it’s something we “do together” (I have skiing experience).
  5. Ski with wife and ensure she does not die.
  6. Ski with children. Physically haul children everywhere.

Basically I’ve decided that I can do the same experience off of the skis and on snow boots and probably wind up happier in the end.

3 Likes

Sounds like what you actually need is friends to go skiing with while the family stays in the lodge and do snow tubbing with the kids instead.

I have no desire to bring my children to the slopes till they are a bit older. I could see my daughter now screaming it’s cold and refusing to go down the slope.

1 Like

The child that needs private lessons would probably really benefit from skiing…

1 Like

The kids love snow tubing. We’ve closed ski weekends with it.

My wife showed me an insta reel that was like “you want me to pay to throw myself down a mountain?” :joy:

2 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes

I will never get that time back. The man’s got 4000 plastic chairs including the mono block. Do you know how rare that is!!!
I don’t think we’re helping the op.

4 Likes