Advice?

What should I tell my parents… they keep yelling and lecturing me about how I shouldn’t yoyo. They think it’s annoying. Personally, I really like yoyoing… I like it so much, that even though I’m not that good at it, there’s just something inside me that says keep going. What should i do?

Practice more…
Show them that you can do not just “Tricks” but you must show them what is the real TRICK…
And maybe you can get some money with your yoyoing…
Give them to your parents or at least show them…
And I’m sure that they’ll be happy…

Ask them why they think its annoying.And just say you wont yoyo around them if they still dont want you yoyoing I can’t help ya there but my parents love it because it keeps me off the PS3 lol.

Tell them the good things. You could be playing video games. You could be doing illegal things. Etc.

They tell me that they think yoyoing is just a waste of time, they said that i should be outside playing basketball instead. They keep telling me that yoyoing will get me nowhere.

Brent Dellinger had been yoyoing for about 2 or 3 years and won 2nd at worlds in '03 (or maybe '02 but whatever) and as a senior in high school bought his own Porsche 911 Turbo. 'Nuff said.

Now why is gaming considered a bad thing, and in the same category as doing illegal things?

and to me it sounds like your parents wouldn’t mind if if you were “wasting your time” playing a “real sport”… Well just explain to them that yo-yoing IS a real sport and that it takes just as much skill and hand eye coordination and such as basket ball, base ball, foot ball and pretty much any other “sport”…

Not to mention it’s a lot ‘safer’ and cheaper then things like foot ball, soccer and rugby. (But if you’ve never played rugby you should, it’s a LOT of fun)

That happend to me once
Are you join a yoyo club or anything?
Do you go to a yoyo meet?
Do you yoyo with your friends?
If yes, let yor parents meet your yoyo friends, let them (the comunity) tell your parents about yoyoing, whats good and interesting in it (including real sport and hand eye coordination thing)
If you can, ask your parents to go with you see some yoyo competition
Show them your comunity
That would be better than if you tell them yourself
Belive me, thats work

show them how happy it makes people feel! like show them augie fashs take two and you can see hes having a blast and doing awesome tricks! show them some videos from here on yoyoexpert from some of our very best throwers or just the people who look like ther having a great time! and most importantly tell them how happy it makes you feel. :smiley:

Everybody’s right! Parent’s want their kids to be happy without damage to their wallet as much as possible. Tell them that it makes you happy, it makes you unique, it’s safer than most sports, it’s keeping you off the couch, and it doesn’t take that much funds to keep it going. Tell them that it makes you different from all those other kids that play the conformist sports (cause you gotta admit… most kids that play for team sports end up being jerks). Whatever makes you happy, they should be happy with too.

(If that doesn’t work, use some drama and make them feel guilty for keeping you from your hobbies.):stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t worry, this kind of stuff happens to everyone and we all find a way to convince them otherwise! (One way or the other ;))

luckily my parents don’t mind because I have lots of skill toys (rubik’s cubes, yoyos, etc). that sucks that your parents dont like it… parents should support their children no matter what they choose to pursue.

when people tell me to “get a life” or “you have no life” I joke by saying I have a perfect balance of a life because I snowboard, skate, play piano, and then have the weird stuff like cubing, yoyoing, and studying sign language. yoyoing is NOT useless.

Tell them, if they want you to do something else, that you will get into another hobby like Crack Dealing. Jk, tell why you like it.

That’s really amazing to me that your parents don’t see any benefit in yoyoing. It increases your hand-eye coordination, it builds your confidence, it helps your creativity, it’s fun, it helps you focus, it’s unique, and most of all, it’s what you love to do! Just because there is a chance that you won’t make it your lifelong career doesn’t mean it’s not worth doing, by any means.

one of the funniest things ive ever read on the forum… i was just laughing so hard i cried. ty for that

And 2a can help you in life. Have you ever need to do several things at the same time, like be able to write and then type in your calculator and switch back and forth? Well who wants to have to move everything out when you could just be able to do it with your left hand. Do you play basketball? Tell them it’ll greatly improve your dribbling because you’ll be that much better at using your off hand. Then dribble 2 balls around.

By the way, that’s one of the reasons I love 2a.

Tell them that as just a yoyoer, Brandon Jackson liked playing with this toy.
Now that he’s been on the Duncan team he has been hired by Duncan as the National Sales & Marketing Coordinator. He’s probably making more money than your parents and he’s just a yoyoer.

This also sounds exactly like what Tommonnzzzz said a while back!

Run away from home and go yo-yo in the streets! Fight the tyranny!

yeah , pack your bags and get the hell out of dodge!

HEY NOW THATS A GOOD IDEA! I love this! You’re right this could help me with my driblling skills. Thanks thats awesome!

With all the news about professional basketball and football, etc. doing drugs and committing crimes and all that they really get onto you about yoyoing? Have you ever heard of a yoyoer doing that kind of stuff?