How do I put the caps back onto my Sage?

So after over 2 years of throwing, I finally stripped an axle. Luckily, it was just a nut and bolt from my Sage.

I went to the hardware store this morning, and was able to find a replacement nut and bolt for about $0.60. Old one is on top:

20190516_110922

Fits perfectly, but I cannot figure out how to get these caps back on! They were easy enough to pop out, Any advice?

20190516_111032

20190516_111037

2 Likes

It should just pop back in if you push it in from the edges.

2 Likes

Either I have frail lady thumbs, or there is a special trick to getting these back in.

2 Likes

The YYF One and One Star have very tight fitting caps. I would recommend using a drill press or something similar to press them into place.

3 Likes

6 Likes

That looks a bit corroded to my eye? Do you lightly lube the threads (at the insertion point)? I recommend it! I always lube threads like that, just a drop at the tip of the threads.

1 Like

This was my kiddos dedicated beater, aka “I want to play yoyo with dad”- yoyo. My oldest liked to take it apart and put it back together.

…and throw it into pools and bathtubs…

…and leave it outside to sit in the elements for days on end…

I threw a fresh bearing in it, and it plays semi-responsive as of now.

And I did get the caps back on eventually! I used my bare hands :muscle:

5 Likes

I literally did this to my sage today. They are wicked tight. I got one edge to hold and the used a pencil topper eraser and put it on where it wasn’t popped in and stepped on it. I thought I was going to break it

1 Like

s-l300

2 Likes

The video under the specs and stuff shows how at 5:40. It worked good for me! Just trim it a little with some scissors