How do I manufacture my first Signature Yoyo?

The title is pretty explicit. But to be more detailed, I’d like to know how I could get my first signature yo-yo with the most basic steps possible. Or not.

1 Like

There’s a number of ways you can make your own yoyo!

Start with an idea, a profile drawing is where many start.

I suggest watching the Mk1 Yoyos design series on Youtube. Then use those skills to draw your own yoyo in a CAD software of your choosing.

Alternatively, hire a pro yoyo designer and pay them to CAD your yoyo.

Either of those will eventually lead you to hiring a machine shop to manufacture, anodize, and assemble the yoyos (unless your pro yoyo designer is also the machinist liaison as part of your contract).

And then…boom! Your signature yoyo has been born!

*Edit: “Boom” is realistically 2 to 3 months. Depending on the design phase, manufacturing lead times, and shipping.

3 Likes

Reach out to a manufacture with your design and ask how much it will cost to get some prototypes made.

If you like the prototype, ask them to do a production run for you assuming you agree in the price.

Sell them, assuming that is your goal.

1 Like

Highly recommend watching this playlist.

8 Likes

One such manufacturer and machine shop you can look into is FPM, the manufacturing side of YoYoFriends.

2 Likes

I have a few questions…. Not to discourage you one bit. That is pretty adventurous to have a yo-yo made. But that being said>

Why do you want it to be a ‘signature’ yo-yo?

A signature ‘anything’ is mostly identified as being associated to a person of ‘notable’ importance/accomplishments.

For example: a signature baseball bat for a home run legend. A signature shortstop mitt for a player that lets nothing get by him. A signature bowling ball for a guy that has thrown 13 Perfect games. Signature shoes by a Basketball player that’s scored a billion full court 3 point shots in a row… etc.

Unless people recognize your name instantly based on your yo-yo history, your signature yo-yo is meaningless.

Can you move forward with your project and just think of a great name for your first yo-yo?

An excellent reputation in whatever endeavor you’ve chosen, is usually something you build up before you come out with your ‘1st Signature’ product.

Obviously I could be wrong on this because I am only going by the title of your post.

Maybe you meant something else, but I am just going with ‘your wording’.

Regardless, best of luck with your mission.

Personally, I have always take a certain sort of pride in not being a follower.

And I kinda like that down the line, I will be the only person in the Yo-yo World that doesn’t feel compelled to start his own yo-yo Company.

I will continue to leave the headaches to those that are more adventurous.

6 Likes

I just think it’ll be nice to have a yo-yo that’s fit for me, and also show others that I’ve climbed up far to reach that goal.

Simple answer: Yes. I can’t think of anything else to say about that.

3 Likes

Design a yoyo and then utilize co-manufacturing agreements like YoYoFaKtory does, then brand the blank yoyo with a laser engraver to make yo’r own. That way you don’t have to invest into any infrastructure for tooling and buildings necessary for legit factory status.

Bring yo’r brand to market in days, not weeks.

Personally, I would negotiate a deal with YYF for some blank yoyos to be Re-Branded, as they are excellent at what they do and their yoyos always look Amazingly Fantastic!

I’m a well known “Troll” around here and speak candidly.

Good Luck~

1 Like

If you don’t want to be known as a troll you could just stop posting troll-ish things about one specific brand…

I’m also not sure what speaking candidly has to do with implying YYF sells “blanks” to aspiring yoyo entrepreneurs… But if by utilizing a “co-manufacturer” you are recommending an OEM or Original Equipment Manufacturer, that’s definitely an option. And it’s literally what 90% of all yoyo companies do.

7 Likes

1 Like

I was gonna link to this, but Brandon already did!

There are two very important things to consider making a yoyo, which I believe I covered in my video series but would like to emphasize.

1. Do you have the funds to complete the project?
  2. Do you have a very clear idea of what you are trying to accomplish with the yoyo?

For 2, also consider if another yoyo (even a very expensive one) would potentially meet your specific needs better; as even a very expensive yoyo is cheaper than creating prototypes in most cases.

4 Likes

I think Doc hit all the important points here. Generally a signature series is marketed on the notoriety of it’s signer because it’s ideally suited to that signer’s style and preference. For instance, a signature series B. B. King Gibson guitar would differ from the standard model by being equipped and modified specifically to suite the style and produce the tone of King’s music. It’s not just a really nice guitar that B. B. King licensed his name to.

In the yoyo world, a signature series throw will generally find success or failure based on the fame of whoever’s name is on it. For instance if I released a signature series right now, it would be tailored perfectly to my current preferences but nobody would care because I’m not that good and my style is still developing.
In short, if I were to release a signature series yoyo it would only prove that I had the money and time to produce a signature series yoyo. Not that I was any good at actually throwing.

On the other hand, when for instance Gentry Stein releases a signature series, it will likely be successful because people can look up videos of him and know that if they want to play in a similar style, Gentry’s signature yoyo will probably suit them very well.

Now that’s not to say that you should not design and produce your own yoyo, in fact I’d encourage it! But if you specifically are looking for your own signature series, then the best way would probably be to first develop notoriety in the yoyo world and then you will have a much easier time getting manufacturers to throw resources into turning your ideal throw into a reality.
A good example of this, I think, would be Dylan Kowalski of YouTube, who has his own signature yoyo the HotDiggity.

Ivan

EDIT: Sorry Doc, I meant to quote your post, not reply directly to it. My mistake.

1 Like

the most important points have already been said pretty much. having your own signature yoyo is probably something that all newcomers dream of; having a throw that’s catered to the specs you want and the playstyle you prefer, tailor-made just for you. i do also think that some perspective is needed as to understanding the weight of having a sig.

why not branch out and try different yoyos first? see what fits and what works. the hertz is a solid choice but there’s definitely a world of options to go from there. understanding what kind of yoyo you like is also a part in the image of your ideal throw, you may even find a new favorite.

making a signature takes time, skill, effort and a hefty amount of investment. if you want to push for the inexpensive route, why not try to CAD and 3D print a plastic first? it’s not gonna be the smoothest but it might scratch that itch of needing something personalized.

2 Likes