Hornet or Butterfly XT

Hi, I am a beginner and I want yo-yo that sleeps well. I’m thinking of hornet or butterfly XT. Other options include pulse, limelight and the yomega fireball. I currently have an Eagle 1, but for me it sleeps for 5 to 10 seconds.

4 Likes

Butterfly XT. Hornet is a dedicated looper.

If you’re open to spending >$10, a Recess First Base is an excellent option that comes with two bearings, one for responsive and one for unresponsive when you’re ready to bind.

10 Likes

Get a Butterfly XT, will be better for learning Trapeze

3 Likes

Get a SnapBack

1 Like

Just fyi eagle 1 is a hornet with a transaxle vs a bearing.

The butterfly xt would be better of those two if those are your only options.

I like to recommend a recess int first base for new player but a shooting star, AOE, or any other plastic YoYo in that value range works well.

SnapBack is also a great learner YoYo. It’s essentially a spinstar with a bearing vs the transaxle.

1 Like

Also limelight and pulse are the same YoYo just the limelight has a plastic sleeve (transaxle) and a pulse has a stainless steel bearing.

Also fireball is a transaxle and the bearing version would be a raider

1 Like

Id go with a YYF Whip over all of them choices. Or for another 5 dollars get a Yoyofriends AoE.

3 Likes

Welcome. The Hornet and Butterfly XT are completely different yoyos for completely different styles of plays. The Hornet is for looping tricks where you keep it moving. It’s very narrow so you can’t do string tricks with it very easily. The Butterfly XT has a flared out shape so you catch the yoyo on the string and do many of the traditional tricks and many starter string tricks. It’s a great fun yoyo that I started out on. I got mine for about $5-$6 when I started out.

The Butterfly XT and Hornet both use starburst response versus silicon response pads, so neither sleep a tremendously long time. The Butterfly XT does have a ball bearing through so it does spin longer than the Hornet (which uses a transaxle or a sleeve that slips over the axle). The Hornet isn’t designed for long sleep though because looping tricks don’t generally require it the same way as string tricks.

So my short answer is get the Butterfly XT and enjoy the start of your yoyo journey!

1 Like