Homeschoolers on the Forums

I wake up at 7:30 chill till 8:30-9:00 and then do my school till 12 eat and be done around 1 ish.

I’m just wondering how do you guys make friends? All of my close friends were met in school.

I make friends via my bible study, my homeschool covering, my neighbors, and my extracurricular activities.

I go to a youth theater and that’s how i make my friends. Even before i started homeschooling (seventh grade) my best “real” friends were the kids at the youth theater. I was pretty close with them before, but now that they’re my only friends im even closer! Alot of them are young (10, 11) but im still just as much “friends” with them than I am with my friends that are my age.

Hey, I’m number one on the list. Whoopee. It does help that you and I know each other redneckyoyer3826 ;).

Anyway, I have heard people say that homeschoolers are not as educated as public schoolers because they are not “social”. They just take it the wrong way. Actually, a friend of mine tried to talk me out of homeschooling and go to his school. 1) Homeschooling is great because you can stay home, eat whenever you want, take a break for a nap, etc. 2) Homeschooling (for me) involves less work, 3) If I did stop homeschooling, I wouldn’t be able to go to his school :P, 4) I say that we are plenty social. Just because were are homeschooled does not mean we don’t get out and around. If you ask me, we get to do more. Kids who are public schooled stay at school longer, therefore, homeschoolers can get out an me new people more.

Just saying this so nobody stops homeschooling because of public schoolers.

I’m definitely not saying people who are homeschooled have bad communication skills, and are antisocial, but with this path of reasoning, aren’t all the people that you want to meet that are your age still in school?

One thing I learned is that being homeschooled, it taught me how to interact with people of all ages.
Sure, some people might not be “out” to hang out with or meet when I was done for the day, but what did I do? I got out, experienced life, did other activities with other fellow homeschoolers (since our local homeschoolers activity association was quite close), and I got to interact with others who were older.
If anything, I feel I gained greater social skills by being homeschooled than if I didn’t

I never said it was you who disagreed with homeschooling. It was somebody I know that I don’t want to say his name publicly. Anyways, yes, most of the kids I am close friends with are in school but a good few are homeschooled.

I don’t have kids, and I’m in my 40s, but I am friends with a family with home school kids, and they are part of an amazing home school group that gets together to expand learning opportunities and provide social and cultural experiences. It’s pretty impressive how great this group of kids and parents is.

Were you homeschooled when you were younger?

Not really, but kind of.

I flunked out of high school. Almost flunked out of college after getting my GED and going for my bachelor’s degree. I was increadibly understimulated and bored in school, and the pace was mind numbing, and the curriculum seemed so out dated (in the '80s and '90s). I found ways to teach myself, and the skills I got on my self directed education outside the classroom are the same skills that make me a success today.

I did need that college degree to go to grad school, though. And a graduate degree certainly doesn’t hurt. I wish my parents knew what to do with me, and had home schooled me. I would have gotten to where I am much faster (perhaps?).

First co-op tomorrow! I’m starting to feel the burn >.< looks like a lot of work :stuck_out_tongue:

I start today. You guys?

I start my co-op today. It covers half my subjects

Wow, you guys don’t start too early. I am on Week 8. Yikes. I do get to finish in the first weekend of May though. :wink:

i start today

Wow.

i get to finish on like the third weekend in may

I LOVE BEING HOME SCHOOLED ;D ;D ;D ;D

I started about the third week of July. I plan to be done with highschool by age 16.

I love being homeschooled. I am doing 2 days of work in 1 so I get 1 day off every week.