Hitting a wall

I’m still fairly new to throwin. Like a lot of others I try and find things to learn online. It just seems whatever I find is either something I know already or the trick I find is too difficult for me. Like can’t even understand it. Is this just me? Is there a good playlist or something for people in the middle? Have any of you hit a wall?

9 Likes

I occasionally will go through the same thing, and when that happens I like to either switch styles of throwing or do things I normally would not do within a trick. Just mess around with alternate dismounts or rhythms with your tricks. Good luck (:

8 Likes

Progress is tantamount to happiness.

I would suggest looking up tutorials for a few tricks that are totally out of your trick comfort zone, and expand your overall well roundedness.

Learning tricks in styles that I don’t usually play always helps me with little slumps or walls.

5 Likes

I consider dabbing into different styles to be invaluable and very refreshing.

8 Likes

Don’t expect to learn a new trick in one session. Break it down, and come back to it. I need to take my own advice though :wink:

4 Likes

Just stick with it. Pretty soon, the tricks you watch a tutorial on that look to “busy” or hard, you will be doing in no time. Practicing Consistantly wins the battle here.

3 Likes

Everyone hits walls, all normal folks anyways. As a very slow learner, my advise to you is to focus on two things, tricks you find fun, and tricks you just feel driven to learn.
There are tricks that took me many months to ‘learn’ , to the extent I can hit them some times. I am okay with that, I am still working on STM, that’s been going on years now.
Look at it more as a process than a check list. If you are learning anything, or even just enjoying old familiar tricks, you are way ahead of the game.

6 Likes

The advice here is good. Learning most any skill requires patience, and being satisfied with small gains. the surest way to fail is biting off more than you can chew to use a well worn cliche. I hate cliches, but they apply.

2 Likes

every body hits a wall in there yoyo journey and normally that’s how a lot of throwers quit throwing.

what I do is I try a different style normally 4a and 3a

3 Likes

I regularly smash into walls. A perfect saying because I was super frustrated with a trick at one time and my yo-yo happened to smash into a wall. Moral is, don’t play near walls, and keep with it. I honesty still don’t understand how half the tricks I know work but I did them enough that they work now. Maybe not perfectly but there’s a foundation.

3 Likes

I think we all hit the wall from time to time. What has worked for me has been either just dropping the troublesome trick for a bit and moving to something else, or switching styles. I like fixed axle play, it helps me clear my head and just let ideas flow.

I think a big key is not letting the wall become impenetrable due to huge levels of frustration. 99.99% of us aren’t in the position where there is actually consequence for not learning a trick now.

Relax, take a break, don’t let the idea of there being a destination in yoyo ruin the journey of yoyo. Have fun.

3 Likes

Honestly I think I hit the intermediate/advanced wall quite hard months ago, and have learned very little since. In the meantime ive just been mucking around with everything I know, and have become much better at throwing my mere handful of bangers. Ive been nailing elements (like the 2nd Kwyjibo drop, aka Kwyjibo) so consistently and stylized that it is becoming an obsession of mine. I did this kind of thing with my trick arsenal a few times in the past, and once I started learning new tricks again, I realized that my skill level jumped. I could say that it is a grind, but I love just casually coming up with new rhythms with the same basic combos. I think I am at that point where I can artistically yoyo with basic elements, which is still really cool to me though I still have the nerverending desire to add something. Honestly if you have worked your way up a trick ladder, just throw that stuff until you can do it casually. Then move up. Rinse and repeat I guess; sometimes you get surprised how easily you can land what you considered “complex” 6 months ago.

3 Likes