Here's another tutorial: Chopstick element

Again, sorry for the low quality. The key to making this trick smooth is momentum. Once you understand all of the steps, try to utilize the back and forth swinging of the yo-yo to your advantage.

The double roll immediately following the Chopstick Mount is the same concept as the trick “ripcord”. So if you haven’t learned that trick, that might be helpful. One tip that I can share about this part of the trick is you want to do it as quickly as possible because it puts a ton of string in the gap which can cause the yoyo to slow down and twist up on itself. Do the double roll and then quickly let go of everything on your NTH.

I’m going to share another tutorial soon that will link this trick and the last trick that I shared together. So stay tuned, and good luck!

11 Likes

Impressive. You make it look really easy!

1 Like

Once you understand what’s going on, it’s really not that hard. Let me know if you need any help. :v:

1 Like

I won’t be ready for quite some time since I have major problems with lands on sidestyle but thank you. I am concentrating on frontstyle moves and look at all styles for inspiration and things to incorporate here and there.

1 Like

Fair enough! If you’re working on front style, you could always pull the ripcord element from this trick and practice that.

1 Like

How do I keep the string from bunching up during the ripcord? I can get through it, but not sure how to make that part smooth.

2 Likes

The key to getting that part is to do it as quickly as possible. So you’re in a chopstick, do the first roll and then as you’re doing the second roll let go of all of the strings off of your non-throw hands so that the strings can start to come out of the gap.

I still get snagged up in this part of the trick from time to time.

Also, not to sound like an elitist anything, but your string might make a difference too. I use a nylon poly blend and it is a lot slicker than your standard poly strings. They don’t feel nearly as grippy and Snaggy during tricks like this. But that being said, I have definitely done this trick with full poly strings. You just have to get The timing right.

2 Likes

Dang, am I having trouble w/ ripcord. My biggest problem and maybe yours is a lack of plane-keeping and strong enough throw but plane-keeping is the key. 75% of the spin is killed if there is even the slightest tilt and any proper clean dismount is lost.

@smileypants707 I figured out my problem with something you said: FAST! I was spending too much time LOOKING at that double hop back over that I was doing it slowly which caused all those string segments to get funked in the gap literally killing my spin. Thank you!!!

2 Likes

I can sorta do this now but it’ll be a bit before I can get all the transitions smooth. Thanks for the tutorial!

2 Likes

Nice man :sunglasses:

My pleasure!

2 Likes

@stevejspins here’s a tutorial from a while back. To make it a repeater, instead of binding, do one of those undermount dismount wraps like at the end of Hidemasa hook.

3 Likes