Hendy's yoyo design thread (UPDATE: New design on page 6)

Ok, here are all the pics of the Kraken (the isometric pic is on perspective mode, the rest are on orthographic to give a more accurate idea of the precise shape)

Do you have a cross section pic of it?

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Iā€™ll get on that right now (plus cross-sections of the other designs too).

EDIT: Actually having a bit of a tough time figuring out how to do cross-sections. Still getting used to this software.

Do you know the specs yet ???

Kraken

Diameter: 55mm
Width: 43mm
Weight: 67g
Gap Width: 5mm

Pathfinder

Diameter: 55mm
Width: 43mm
Weight: 66g

Wanderer:

Diameter: 50mm
Width: 45mm
Weight: 66g

How many undercuts could you cram into one yoyo? 4? 5? 8? 14?

Are you saying you want more undercuts? XD
I think it would be tough to pull off more than 2 without it looking bad, but who knows.

Top Yo.
Double Zero. Look it up. :slight_smile:

Pretty sweet double undercut design. I like how it approximates a smooth, organic shape.

Yeah man! The Double Zero is the only one that comes close to your design of the Kraken. :smiley:

Any luck? This is the most important view because you can determine if your features are machinable.

The specs look pretty good, just make the gap width smaller. I could see 5mm definitely leading to some slippy binds.

Hey, just saw this thread and wanted to say those are some wicked cool designs. One thing though, arenā€™t the gaps a bit wide? Maybe itā€™s just me but I prefer a 4-4.6 (at the most) gap width.

Yeah I realize the gaps are on the wide side. Itā€™s an easy fix, though. Still some tweaking to be done before Iā€™ll consider them ā€œproduction readyā€ (although if I do ever get to produce any, it wonā€™t be for some time).

As for the cross-section, Iā€™m still struggling with that area of the software. I can get a pic of the sketch easily enough, but I still have to figure out how to get a section view of the 3d model.

Huzzah

Hereā€™s a cross section of the Kraken

Design looks really interesting, but this looks like itā€™s going to be a pain to machine.
If you plan on running those then I definitely recommend changing the outer rim undercut.

Looks nice and floaty. :slight_smile: And expensive to machine :frowning:

If youā€™re talking about how it goes down to a point, I totally see what youā€™re getting at. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I can flatten that a bit no problem to make it more feasible.

As for MyNameIsZen, is it the same feature youā€™re worried about? Or is there another feature that could be a problem? Iā€™m still very new to all this so donā€™t let any mistakes slip by me.

Hereā€™s the updated cross section. It shaved more weight off than I was expecting, so I still need to add some more material to the inner rims to bring it back to normal, but hopefully Iā€™ve managed to fix the undercut problem.