HELP: Viby AoE

Hey. So I just got the aoe and it arrived yesterday. It feels very smooth and nice in the hand, but I have a problem. All reviews I have seen say the aoe is very smooth, but when I throw it, it is very bivy. You can notice it and feel it on the string. I don´t want to sound silly, but it makes playing with it less fun. So I wanted to ask: Has this happened to anyone? Could this vibe be related to my throw? if not, is there any fix it?

I get vibe on all of my yoyos if my throw is bad. Sometimes taking a yoyo apart and screwing it back together sloppily can introduce vibe.

How much vibe are you talking about on the Area of effect? It is a plastic throw so the yoyo will not be perfectly smooth like the yyfr shortcut. However as far as plastic throws I find the AOE to have so little vibe it doesn’t effect experience.

If you think the yoyo has a problem with the vibe make sure that the bearing is installed so it sits straight on the bearing seat. Also make sure that the yoyo is properly tightened (don’t overtighten just make sure it isn’t loose). Another thing to do is make sure the bearing is clean, if it can spin freely for 5 seconds just by spinning the bearing then the bearing is good.

For most people I think vibe is based on your throw, If the yoyo has excessive vibe and the yoyo is properly tightened (not overtight please don’t destroy the threads of the yoyo), and if you don’t have any damage to the yoyo then maybe you have a defective AOE.

If it really is my throw, how could I fix it?

When you smooth out the vibe with your finger, does it start to vibe again after? Does the vibe pulse in severity?

1 Like

not really. It´s just very annoying since I was always told that it was very smooth

1 Like

i understand that, if its not vibing once you smooth it out then it should play perfectly fine. plastics normally aren’t dead smooth like some more expensive metals.

it IS very smooth relative to other plastics, but it won’t be like the frozen nothing of a new monometal/bimetal

Hey. My AoE has a lot of problems. It is more bivy than any other plastic I have thrown, tilts a lot, with a responsive bearing it is almost unresponsive, etc. Does this mean that my AoE is defective?

Are you testing like this? It could be your throw. Hard to say without seeing it though. It starts at around 1:45 into the video.

kind of trash picture but here it is

I thought that video had what I meant to post. This is what I meant to check for vibe.

The part about letting it stabilize for 2-3 seconds with your thumb against the gap is the important part that takes the vibe from your throw out.

3 Likes

A few things I would check/consider:

1. Practice your throw:
    YoYoExpert.com - Basics - Yo-Yo Gravity Pull

2. AoE plays well w/ Normal and Fat strings - is your string old / does it have too much tension - have you tried de-tensioning?

3. If your AOE is setup for responsive play, just make sure you are using the correct axle width for the responsive bearing (it’s easy to overlook)

4. Check the pads to make sure they are well seated and free of any lubricant.

5. Clean your responsive bearing w/ mineral spirts or acetone - once dry, add a thicker lubricant. Thin lubricants are for unresponsive play. Thicker lubricant will make a bearing more responsive.

6. Try double wrapping your string around the bearing - this will make the bearing more responsive.

1 Like