Help me quiet my iceberg!

Ok, peepz. I got an iceberg, and it’s loud. It’s my favorite throw, but it’s loud. Bearing sounds fine when I take it out of the yoyo, I’ve lubed it appropriately, and I still need help. Cuz it’s loud. How do I make this thing quieter?

Would replacing the bearing be a good idea?

I’ve got other good yoyos, but I want to use my iceberg more. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks!

Some yos get quiet again if you just keep spinning. I would suggest bearing (pun partly intended) with the noise for another couple hours of play before doing anything.

Idea 2 would be strip the bearing of its current lubing with acetone or rubbing alcohol then immediately blasting it with canned air then re-lubing. Kinda drastic but it would reset the bearing so to speak

Also as the posts below say, bimaterial yoyos have a lot of noise inherent to them, apparently.

It’s a bi material YoYo - I haven’t had one that doesn’t make noise to some level - just comes with the territory

9 Likes

From what I hear and the experience I’ve had, Icebergs are just sort of loud. It’s not super loud, but it’s louder than my other throws. It’s from the plastic/metal hybrid construction, I believe.

3 Likes

The Icebergs run loud, I have two and they both sound the same.

3 Likes

I can confirm what’s already been said here. I‘ve played my Iceberg a lot and had several different bearings in it (shielded/de-shielded/ceramic/hybrid/gold plated/different typs and brands of lube) and the Iceberg didn’t quiet down with any of them. I even checked all my throws for the most quiet and smooth playing bearing and than put that one into my Iceberg…no change at all unfortunately. Maybe there are some hacks out there to get rid of the noise but with the conventional ways of dealing with loud bearings I‘ve grown pessimistic to improve the situation.

4 Likes

Just put some noise deadening foam on it and call it good

The iceberg is a loud yoyo.

It is known.

It probably has to do with the thin plastic hybrid walls acting as an amplifier for any noise of the yoyo itself.

sometimes lubing it helps a bit. But it’ll never be quiet.

5 Likes

I think that this is it. Thinner walls amplify noise. It can also be seen with very thin walled monometals like the 2022 Yeti and the OP Ballon. Even the slightest bearing noise is amplified. The difference (for me) is that thin walled metals produce a pleasant ringing sound, whereas plastic sounds are rarely appealing.

1 Like

A quiet bearing will help. I swapped mine out recently and it helped. For a little while anyway… :slight_smile:

1 Like

As many have mentioned, iceberg is a loader yo-yo. I wonder how a OD 10 ball would do? They can be awfully quiet when cleaned properly. 10 ball vs 8 ball in any make may help.

1 Like

If you put a white full ceramic bearing from Sochi, in the iceberg it will make the sound magnificently different.
It will be a paradigm shift about loud yo-yos and that will help with this problem it did with mine.

I love the loudest yo-yo ever created

8 Likes

Thanks for all the replies, I’ll try an OD10. I’ve never bearing swapped out side of extra ones that come with magic yoyos.

If I found a thin enough spacer or washer to put between the walls and the bearing do you think it would help or is this an awful idea?

I thought ceramics were noisier than steel as a general rule. It’s it different for a plastic yoyo?

Ps I like that colorway. Mines yellow and green with black rims.

1 Like

Another “my Iceberg is loud too” here! Even after a fresh cleaning and lubing. I like loud throws though so I’m cool with it.

Ivan

2 Likes

Bose may have the best solution.

1 Like

No. @POspot was letting you know how to make it that much louder!! Embrace the audible feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly make it as loud as possible play it for a few months then, switch the original bearing back into the iceberg and then all of your throws will be magically quieter

2 Likes

I actually was considering getting an iceberg until I read all the posts that it’s basically an amplifier. I can’t use loud yoyos all the time unfortunately.

The IceScream

3 Likes

Oh my goodness that is so perfect!! The iceberg called the iceScream. I say embrace the unique qualities of an amazing throw.

If you throw it they will come… running to see if you are straggling a squirrel… and relieved you are not then look at your cool yo-yo tricks.

1 Like