Help! DM2 is responsive!

Ok, so the story is my brother got a DM2 about a month ago. It worked great for about 3 weeks, and then it suddenly went responsive. As in, extremely responsive, coming up with the slightest tug. He tried lubing the bearing, which did not help (after doing more reading, I found this is apparently to be expected? it was “speed” lube, if that matters). He got some lube on the o-rings, which ruined them. The DM2 continued to be responsive, even without the o-rings in (though much less so). We assumed then that the bearing was the problem (seems odd after less than a month??). We ordered a new bearing and used flowable silicon for the response system. New bearing came, and the results have not been much better. The thought has crossed my mind that possibly the silicone is too thick at this point?

We’re kind of at a loss. I really just want his yo yo to work for him, as I just bought a dv888 and it works awesome :slight_smile: Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Man at this point all kinds of things can be wrong.
One thing though lube will not mess up your silicone.
Lube will make your bearing responsive. and speed cream for skateboards is super thick lube.
You are going to want something much thinner. like yoyojam thin lube, gun barrol oil, trumpet valve oil.
Now that you have done a silicone job on it, you could have silicone where it is not suposed to be. Your bearing may have some in it.
I suggest you do a search and look at the stickys on how to maintain a bearing and how to do a silicone job. You may have to deal with both to get it back in order.

Thanks very much for the quick reply!! I should clarify a couple things:

The lube is YYJ thin lube, I had the wrong name, that’s my bad. The old bearing definitely may have had some silicone in it but the new one definitely does not, we just put it in an hour ago. We followed a couple tutorials when doing the silicone job, and we’re pretty sure we did it correctly (waiting upwards of 24 hours before using the yoyo, etc).

As for the idea that lube wrecks o-rings, that came from the support people at yo-yo expert when my bro emailed them. I hadn’t ever heard of that, but that’s apparently what they told him. We’re not worried about the lube messing up the silicone job, it was the rubber o-rings that got stretched out.

Sorry my first post was such a mess chronologically :slight_smile:

Is your silicone flat with the surface? Than you probably need to wear it down. Next time, use something to scrape off the top layer, and “recess” the silicone. Try the bearing in some other yoyo. Also, flick the bearing, how long does it spin? Spin it slowly. How does it spin? Does it feel crunchy? Smooth?

1 Like

I did suspect the silicone being too high up. I never got a good look at his o-rings before he started messing with them.

I tried the bearing in another yo yo and it did seem to work alright. I also tried a known working bearing in the DM2 and had the same responsiveness issues.

I tried flicking the bearing as you said. On my dv888 it is super fast and smooth. It’s a little slower on the DM2 with the new bearing we just bought, but still relatively smooth. I tried flicking the DM2’s original bearing and it barely makes it around (I guess that explains the original issue, eh?). I took out the silicone on one half of the DM2 and now the yo yo is mostly unresponsive (it’ll still come up with a jerk if I get it just right). Perhaps a re-siliconing job is in the works? He said he tried to use a spoon to scrape off the excess silicone last time, but perhaps he did not get it down far enough?

Thanks again for all your help!

I think you have silicone in the bearing seat. It can be hard to see if it is clear.

1 Like